90 Gt Vert, The Bananna Spider

Ok, so I bought a new 1-2 syncro slider that should work with all of the different counter gears per the part number description. I also got a first gear, it is a 32 tooth. I have no idea of that will work as it came out of a 048 counter gear for a tbird turbo coupe with a 2.3l.
The gear box looks like a awesome shop, I will likley get my 1-2 shift fork from them but at 160 per gear it does not make financial sense to rebuild this trans.
Is tooth count all I have to concern myself with them? I have been searching the web and all i can find is ratio numbers attached to different years of trans. Nothing that gives me tooth counts or counter gear specs.
Sorry guys, I don't even know what I don't know!
20170907_085934.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, so I bought a new 1-2 syncro slider that should work with all of the different counter gears per the part number description. I also got a first gear, it is a 32 tooth. I have no idea of that will work as it came out of a 048 counter gear for a tbird turbo coupe with a 2.3l.
The gear box looks like a awesome shop, I will likley get my 1-2 shift fork from them but at 160 per gear it does not make financial sense to rebuild this trans.
Is tooth count all I have to concern myself with them? I have been searching the web and all i can find is ratio numbers attached to different years of trans. Nothing that gives me tooth counts or counter gear specs.
Sorry guys, I don't even know what I don't know!
20170907_085934.jpg

Money for rebuild kit comes in at end of month, have gears and forks for replacement....getting close to a test drive. Should have the trans rebuilt and in over a weekend. Excited....all sensors and new bolts sitting on workbench...twittling my thumbs......aarrgggg. did this jack o lantern with the kids the other night...wife just shakes her head lol.
20171017_080045.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Got it rebuilt and in. Bolting up exhaust and pouring in fresh sauce tonight. Took longer as reverse idler was trashed when i got into it. Metal shavings everywhere. I will be driving to Foxtoberfest!

Attachments

• 20180331_112658.jpg
    20180331_112658.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 20180329_162404.jpg
    20180329_162404.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 131
  • 20180329_162418.jpg
    20180329_162418.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 20180329_162406.jpg
    20180329_162406.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 143
  • 20180329_162411.jpg
    20180329_162411.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 121
Reactions: 1 users
What can I say, I'm a little slow......but my car won't be.
Scored a sweet deal on a GT40 intake this afternoon. That will be for the heads and intake that will wait till next winter. Can't decide on cheap ebay heads or working on GT40 heads. Either way it won't be a racer just a cruizer, just do not want to get spanked by my friend Jon's 86 Camero with a 350.

I'd go for a good set aftermarket aluminum, gt40's will limit you but so will the intake, pairing up the gt40 heads and intake are a good compo though you'll need better valve springs. What kind of power you shooting for?
BTW, Jon got any mod to the camaro?

I'd be happy at 285 rwhp. Jon is almost done building a destroked 5.7, so a 5.3 with a edelbrock intake, 750 cfm carb, decked block, aftermarket forged cylinder heads with I beam rods and a automatic trans. He has built it to rev high hence the de-stroked.
I have 255lph fuel pump, CAI, e-fan now, plan for winter build GT40 intake (just got it), underdrive pulleys, BBK 70mm throttle body, a/c delete larger injectors (undecided), heads(undecided), and a moderate cam to match heads.

well you'll be lighter so thats going to be an advantage. At 265 hp you won't need bigger injectors although it won't hurt you, biggest thing is picking a cam to match your stuff, make a list of what your going to put on the car, heads, headers gear, trans and intake stuff then fill out a spec sheet for a custom cam and you likely have him covered.
I'm sure others here will help advise you also.

All buttoned up, took a victory lap around the yard. Now I think the distributor took a crap just died and would not restart. Tried carb cleaner in TB and no fire, good spark from coil but not turning over, just cranking. Any ideas?

Replaced cap and rotor and ignition control module. Still crank no start. Opened up the butterfly flap squirted carb cleaner, no start, pulled brand new plugs, look fine, shot some carb cleaner in cylinder, still crank no start. Please help. I'm out of ideas.

Did you check to see if you have fuel? Push on the shrader valve on the fuel.lines and see if it sprays. If so then I believe it is the Pick-up coil inside the distributor that went bad. Mine did the same thing with the issues you are having.

Reactions: 1 user
Check the salt and pepper connectors behind the intake ( the white and black 10 pin connectors for the envine harness ). Over the years I've found alot of issues related to bad connections there.

Check out the crank no start check list.

Checklist was a huge help, thank you. With the new module and cap I have spark back at the plug. Inside of the old cap was really knarley.
Still no start, gonna stop and get some starting fluid on the way home from work today to follow the checklist. Good news is that I already have a new fuel filter and fuel pump so must be FPR, vacuum to FPR, or injectors right? Do I have another sensor that I need to worry about on the fuel side that is a common failure point?