90 Gt Vert, The Bananna Spider

If you put starting fluid in the intake and it at least "coughs" then you can rule out fuel being your issue.

How did you confirm spark at the plug?

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Ok, pulled vacuum line and turned key on, no fuel coming out of FPR. Sprayed starting fluid in TB and it turned over/coughed. So I have a fuel starvation issue.
Very confused. I have a new fuel pump that I can hear turn on. New fuel filter and the FPR diaphragm seems to have integrity. The Fuel relay is also new. Next thing on the list is the fuse links but where are they?

I am going to re-verify my psi at the Schrader valve on wednesday after Jon lends me his pressure tester. I checked it when I put the pump in but that was before this no start situation. Then I will be all the way to step 5 "pressure is ok, injectors not firing".
I tried to crank with pedal floored and with 1/4 throttle on 2 separate occasions with no success. My rear quarter windows are still not adjusted and there is rain coming Friday. May have to wrap it in a tarp if i cannot get it running enough to get it back to the garage.
I was thinking hard today and when I started it back up there was lots of smoke from all the oils and grease i got on the exhaust and trans assembly and reinstall. Plus there was some fuel system cleaner in the gas tank. One bit of bright white smoke wafted up thru my defrost vents on the right side, inside the car. My glove box is still out so I have good access, looked over there under dash and on firewall engine side and did not see anything. Chalked it up to burnoff of oils from somewhere. Now I'm starting to wonder if it was possibally something else. Any ideas there that I can hunt for tomorrow in leu of having that tester to check the fuel pressure at the rail?
Thanks yall

The engine wiring harness runs in that right corner. That's where it runs from the computer, through the firewall, to the engine.

• Surprised
Might as well grab jon's noid light thingy so you can check those injectors too.
that puff of smoke inside the car, did it have a smell like burnt wires?
can you hear the fuel pump prime?
got any beer with strange names?

I still say its the Pick-up coil inside the distributor. I had this same problem ran and then nothing. The pick-up coil is what tells the computer when to fire the injectors, and if it isn't getting that signal you will get nothing. You already spent the time to replace everything else in the distributor I would spent the extra $20ish buck and just finish rebuilding the whole thing.

I still say its the Pick-up coil inside the distributor. I had this same problem ran and then nothing. The pick-up coil is what tells the computer when to fire the injectors, and if it isn't getting that signal you will get nothing. You already spent the time to replace everything else in the distributor I would spent the extra $20ish buck and just finish rebuilding the whole thing.
I may do that if the injectors show they are not firing, really I did not even know what a pick up coil was 2 days ago so I am a bit apprehensive. I'm a shadtree guy, learning as I go. Distributor and timing .....i have not read up on that yet.

Glad you got it running. That's great !!! Jrichker and the checklist have done it again.

I should add, just in case someone trips across my thread some day in the future. The noid light failed. No light, no injector firing so I went to the 10 pin connector, no power to center pin in black harness. I searched for any wire breaks and did not see anything obvious. I got a needle and poked the green wire on the TPS sensor. Connected alligator clips to my volt meter leads and the needle and a chassis ground screw. 4.4! I loosened 2 screws tried to rotate it, lowest I could get was .92. Fired right up after that! Discovered that my alternator was not charging my battery. Since I did the efan conversion I knew I'd have to upgrade eventually but did not realize it would be right away. Well at least I can pull it back into the garage and work on that and all the millions of other things it needs before it is reliable enough to drive 6 hours to NC! Foxtoberfest or bust!

Reactions: 2 users
It's good to get a description of how they figured out the fix not just 'I adjusted the thingamajig and it's working fine now'
It's good to be able to get it in the garage.
Unless you have a garage you can't get into.
Like mine.
:doh:

New shifter, direct from ebay China. I suggest nobody spend the money on these things, they are crappy. Mine was totally worn and floppy. Grit had gotten in it and acted like sandpaper on the plastics. It is cheap but the metal is unbelievable crap. Oh well, I bought it and the return shipping and restocking is more than the purchase price. We will see how long it lasts.

Attachments

• 20180410_214436.jpg
    20180410_214436.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 120
I just had a "well that should not have taken that long" moment. I wired in my 6g alternator from a 2002 sn95 I found in the junkyard.it looked brand new with a reman sticker on it, the car had only been there a week and the hood was down. It checked all out at the parts store. It fit really well, I'm glad I went this way instead of the 3g. $20 score. Also, I installed a ebay air cleaner so I could DRIVE THIS THING FOR THE FIRST TIME! I told myself that I would assess this car after I got it running. I totally bought "too cheaply" but it has been fun, a great stress release/distraction.
I also found a 1996 explorer at the yard.........i was really thinking about those heads. I already have a gt40 intake and explorer throttle body in the basement. I'm thinking it would be a fun winter project to clean up the heads super cheap at home old hot rod style and put them on the car. How long do you guys think it would take me to get them out?

Attachments

• 20180414_003119.jpg
    20180414_003119.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 20180414_003126.jpg
    20180414_003126.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 20180414_003159.jpg
    20180414_003159.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 20180412_144619.jpg
    20180412_144619.jpg