91 Stang won't start

05 GT Stang

Apr 6, 2005
OK, i have a 91 mustang with a 2.3L and can't figure it out! I have fuel pressure, but NO Spark! I've tried switching the coil packs, but still nothing! With the key on, i'm getting 13.8v to the coil pack harness, but nothing out of the coil wires!?!? :fuss: :fuss: Any help would be much appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

Well, power to the coils but not out of the coils is a pretty sure sign of a bad set of coil packs. Unfortunately, I have a feeling you are talking about the constant power, not the pulsed power from the ignition module. I bet you aren't getting any of that, which means bad ignition module.

This is it on the lower intake.

Dan

attachment.php

module

Get the module tested at autozone, have them test it several times so it gets good and hot and u get an acurate reading. I bet that is it. That module will do some crazy stuff or just go out completely like it sounds like yours is. Most folks say to get the motorcraft replacement but I got one from the zone and it's been fine. There is also a guy on e-bay that sells NEW coil packs for our cars (NAPA brand) for CHEAP. I got two of the napa ones, brand new, for what one autozone brand woulda cost me. The napa ones are normally 70 bux each. I got both for around 50. BRAND new. He shipped fast too!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7971218374&category=33689&sspagename=WDVW

Anyway, my module was bad but even after replacing it i was still getting codes. The coils fixed it all. Then new wires n plugs capped it off.

alright, i had the ign module tested at autozone, and it was bad. I replaced it, and still no spark! So, today i replaced the coil packs, and still no spark! I'm wondering what else it could be?? Any help is welcome!

if you have a multimeter, just put it on the mode to see resistance(ohms(omega sign)). Unplug your wire, put the red wire of your multimeter on one side, and the black one in the other

and look how much ohms you get, I think if you get higher than 15ohms, your wires are shot.

If you are not sure, put your old wires back.. Test and look what happen

would anyone know what the wire that goes to the starter relay (red w/green stripe) actually does? i'm out of ideas!!

ALso, could it possibly be the crank trigger not giving the coils any spark?

I had the same problem in my 93 vert. wound up being the crank posit sensor mounted down in the bottom of the crank. cost me 95$ from advance. it was my own fault as I was replacing the t-belt w/o removing the harmonic balancer; I was using the trusty flat tip screwdriver and d*cked it up!. Expensive lesson!!!!!!!!!!!

Im guessing timing belt is off then, When mine wouldnt start it was the crank trigger. Autozone AND advance Auto's tester both failed my dis module, then failed all the new ones in the store at all 3 stores so i would not rely on that tester to see if your module is good or not. I used the "Bad" module for 6 months till i blew the clutch up. Car ran fine after i replaced the crank pos sensor.

Dr.