92 GT Headlights won't work, parking lights, FTP work, replaced all connections!!!

boston9

May 14, 2011
I need some help. The headlights on my 92 GT don't work. I flip the switch and all I get are my parking lights. After scouring this and many other forums as to why my headlights would flicker and as of 3 days ago not work completely I took apart the column cover and took out the headlight switch. Both connections were melted and burned badly at the MF switch and headlight switch. So I bought new ones and replaced them. Thinking I was good to go after three days of trial and error I flip the switch and...nothing. No headlights, still have parking lights and FTP. But no headlights. Swapped out for an LX switch and still nothing. Any ideas, I'm stuck and this car is my DD. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

You don't need to take anything apart to replace the headlight switch, they pop right out.
Did you replace the connecters? The connectors melt and the pins fall out or back out when you put the light switch in.

Let me guess, you were running white style aftermarket headlight bulbs, right?

You don't need to take anything apart to replace the headlight switch, they pop right out.
Did you replace the connecters? The connectors melt and the pins fall out or back out when you put the light switch in.

Let me guess, you were running white style aftermarket headlight bulbs, right?

I realize you don't have to take anything apart on the switch. I said I took it out, I took apart the column cover and took the MF switch out. And no I'm running standard performance Sylvania bulbs. I also replaced all the connectors. They were melted badly.

Did you use a MF switch from an airbag car or from a tilt wheel car? They're not plug-and-play interchangable.

Did you actually confirm there's current going through the feed from the headlight switch (for the beams) to the MF switch?

Did you use a MF switch from an airbag car or from a tilt wheel car? They're not plug-and-play interchangable.

Did you actually confirm there's current going through the feed from the headlight switch (for the beams) to the MF switch?

Airbag car...because mine is. And yes I did confirm that there is juice from the switch to the MF switch. Tomorrow I'll be going from the headlights back with a test light, feeling like I'm running out of options, after I figure this out and have some time I'll be doing the foglight fix that's on corral.

Since you have FTP reportedly functioning normally, the wiring from the headlights to the MF switch should be ok. Instead, I would check in/outs at the MF switch. The connection from the headlight switch feed to the low or high beam output might not be closed when directed.

did the foglight fix today on corral, they work fine now, highs, lows, fogs. thanks for all your input guys...although now i drove it and shut it off about 3 times since this morning, and now....voilà no crank no start...this car is killing me.