Fox 92 mustang overheating

Red92fox

Jul 9, 2023
I have a 92 mustang that keeps overheating. I put in a new sve aluminum radiator, water pump, fan clutch and fan, and a new 180 thermostat but it still overheats when idling

• Sponsors (?)

Have you checked to see if the AC condenser in front of the radiator is plugged with debris? IF that is clear or the car does not have the condenser (AC removed) then watch the fan at idle and see if it is pulling air towards the motor. Do you have a fan shroud? Is the fan setup stock? By stock I mean are the accessories set up for reverse rotation?

Reactions: 1 user
EX wife had to have a Toronado... Constant over heat problems with it,,, Finally pulled the radiator and the outside fins were packed with who knows what... It was amazing how plugged up the fins were, NO air movement at all.......

What's your definition of overheating? What is happening to make you think that?

When you changed all those parts did you get ALL the air out of the system?

Have you checked to see if the AC condenser in front of the radiator is plugged with debris? IF that is clear or the car does not have the condenser (AC removed) then watch the fan at idle and see if it is pulling air towards the motor. Do you have a fan shroud? Is the fan setup stock? By stock I mean are the accessories set up for reverse rotation?
I haven’t checked the condenser I will check it when I get home and yes it does have a fan shroud and it’s a stock set up

Try cold starting with the rad cap off. Let if get up to temp and watch for coolant circulating through the rad. See what temp you get when circulating. Based on your 180 T-stat it should keep circulating. See where the fluid level stabilizes in the rad.

When it starts circulating see if you can feel air being pulled into the rad from the front.

If fluid drops to half way in the rad, add some but not all the way full.

Keep monitoring temps to see what coolant is doing at what temp levels.

Let us know.

WIth the engine off, how much does the fan clutch grab? Is there resistance? Or does it freewheel easily?

Can you rent a coolant pressure tester from autozone and see if it holds at 16psi? Also test the radiator cap.

Was it overheating prior to the replacement parts?

My 89 ran warm last summer at an idle/stuck in traffic. I replaced everything like you did over the winter and everything seems to be good now. There were a few warm days that I drove the car this summer (before I torn apart) and I had no issues being in traffic. Where last year the needle would have crept up past 3/4.

In addition to the above, I would maybe check your thermostat to make sure it is opening all the way?

Was it overheating prior to the replacement parts?

My 89 ran warm last summer at an idle/stuck in traffic. I replaced everything like you did over the winter and everything seems to be good now. There were a few warm days that I drove the car this summer (before I torn apart) and I had no issues being in traffic. Where last year the needle would have crept up past 3/4.

In addition to the above, I would maybe check your thermostat to make sure it is opening all the way?
No it wasn’t overheating before I replaced everything and the thermostat is opening all the way

Is the new water pump turning in the correct direction..
Does the fan pull air ( Is it the correct fan)
Did you install your accessory belt correctly...