93 Cobra booster or SN95 booster?

69clark

Founding Member
Sep 25, 2002
Ravena, NY
Can anyone tell me the difference between the two? Which one is better? Any advantages of one over the other (ei. size, etc)

FYI planning on going with at least a cobra brake upgrade, but future plans if finances go right could include stepping up to a 6 piston setup like Baer or Brembo offer. So I am trying to figure out what booster I should be looking for.

• Sponsors (?)

I "think" that if you get a cobra MC and BB you won't have to do the 3 to 2 port conversion...

I didn't want to track down cobra stuffs, so i went with SN95 booster and MC. I have PBR front calipers which are dual piston and regular new edge disc setup in the rear. I don't know how that would hold up to 6pot baer or brembos though. With the SN95 booster you do have to mod the firewall and elongate the bottom left hole a bit for it to fit. I think the cobra one is a direct bolt in..

PS i saw your bad ass cobra at Fords at e-town. I knew you were front stangnet and i have seen you post all over but i have had no direct contact with you so i didn't like... try to introduce myself or anything haha!! :nice:

Thanks for the info, that seems to be what I have been finding out as well.

You should have stopped by, I would have know who you were from your screen name and avatar. I browse the Fox section alot, but don't post much, so I would know alot of people from this section by their screen names.

The 93 Cobra Booster is a Better choice as the Studs are in the same position as the Stock Booster and they have the same Thread Pitch allowing you to use the Stock Nuts. Not hard at all to locate as you can buy a rebuilt one from the Auto Part Store.

I use a SN-95 booster & MC. Bolts right in 100% minus the "T, 3-2 port" you can get from MM or off ebay for under 30 bucks usaully.

I wouldn't say you bolt it right in. The bottom left stud hole on the fire wall needs to be elongated. The bolts are a different size on the studs so you'll need the correct bolts for those studs on the booster, and i also had to "massage" the shock tower a lil bit to get it fit hehe.

Thanks for the info, that seems to be what I have been finding out as well.

You should have stopped by, I would have know who you were from your screen name and avatar. I browse the Fox section alot, but don't post much, so I would know alot of people from this section by their screen names.

I didn't think you'd reconize my screenname.. I fish around in the other sections too and your SN is just beautiful. So when i saw it at the show i was all excited haha my fiance thought i was a retard lol

So even with disc rears and 03 cobra front brakes you guy's suggest using a 93 cobra master cylinder and booster? or would the SN95 hydro boost system be better? i see mixed opinions here.Anyone have pics of there install or a step by step with what all needs done? peace

john:p

So even with disc rears and 03 cobra front brakes you guy's suggest using a 93 cobra master cylinder and booster? or would the SN95 hydro boost system be better?

Really all depends on what size pistons your calipers have and total surface area of the "slave cylinders".

Basically hydraulic brake systems are ratios of caliper piston area divided by MC bore piston area. The larger the ratio, the softer the pedal. There is a way to mathematically figure out ideal MC's. I'm working on a spreadsheet for this.

With 99-04 Cobra calipers, your ideal MC is a 1993 Cobra MC with the 1" bore. With 94-98 Cobra calipers, your ideal MC is the 94-95 Cobra 15/16" MC.

Hydroboost offers more assist than vacuum boosters, and you can usually upsize your MC by 1/16" bore sizing. That brings the 94-95 GT 1 1/16" MC into play. This MC is large and should only be used with the 94-98 Gt/V6 brakes, OR if you've upgraded to hydroboost.

Oh and also, 93 Cobra and SN95 Boosters are identical 205mm tandem boosters....difference is only the mounting studs. 1993 cobra is more direct bolt in. Sn95 will require minor reworking and drilling of 1 new stud hole

Really all depends on what size pistons your calipers have and total surface area of the "slave cylinders".

Basically hydraulic brake systems are ratios of caliper piston area divided by MC bore piston area. The larger the ratio, the softer the pedal. There is a way to mathematically figure out ideal MC's. I'm working on a spreadsheet for this.

With 99-04 Cobra calipers, your ideal MC is a 1993 Cobra MC with the 1" bore. With 94-98 Cobra calipers, your ideal MC is the 94-95 Cobra 15/16" MC.

Hydroboost offers more assist than vacuum boosters, and you can usually upsize your MC by 1/16" bore sizing. That brings the 94-95 GT 1 1/16" MC into play. This MC is large and should only be used with the 94-98 Gt/V6 brakes, OR if you've upgraded to hydroboost.

Oh and also, 93 Cobra and SN95 Boosters are identical 205mm tandem boosters....difference is only the mounting studs. 1993 cobra is more direct bolt in. Sn95 will require minor reworking and drilling of 1 new stud hole

I have the 94-95 GT 1 1/16" MC with the 95 booster and bullitt, cobra brakes and it works great. The car never stopped that good. I originaly had the whole 95 setup on it and thought I needed to change the mc with the new cobra brakes but I just upgraded the brakes "calipers and rotors" and it works great people say the pedal would be stiffer but it seems the same as it was before so I just left it in. If I new then what I know now I would have just bought the ford racing setup it comes with every thing but the spare. I was trying to save money and it turns out it cost alittle more and I had spent alot of time on it tracking parts and with trial and error.

I have the 94-95 GT 1 1/16" MC with the 95 booster and bullitt, cobra brakes and it works great. The car never stopped that good. I originaly had the whole 95 setup on it and thought I needed to change the mc with the new cobra brakes but I just upgraded the brakes "calipers and rotors" and it works great people say the pedal would be stiffer but it seems the same as it was before so I just left it in. If I new then what I know now I would have just bought the ford racing setup it comes with every thing but the spare. I was trying to save money and it turns out it cost alittle more and I had spent alot of time on it tracking parts and with trial and error.

It works fine, but you might like it better with a 1" 93 cobra MC with the 99+ front calipers

Ford includes a new MC with their M-2300-Q kit meant for 94-95 GT's.

I ran the EXACT setup you have. 99+ Cobra calipers and SN95 disks and the '95 GT MC and booster. It stopped fine and i thought it was okay...just a little on the stiff side. After talking to Jack Hidley @ Max Motorsports, i bought a 1" 1993 Cobra MC and swapped it and the brakes were much better....especially in high speed highway stopping. The 94-98 GT front 66mm calipers have more surface area than either of the 38mm or 40mm cobra calipers.

Is all of this for if you've done the 4-wheel disc conversion or is for if you just done the Cobra fronts only. The reason I'm asking is because I plan to swap to 5-lug with Cobra fronts(keeping the back drums....at least for now). I thought the stock fox booster and MC would be ok.

Is all of this for if you've done the 4-wheel disc conversion or is for if you just done the Cobra fronts only. The reason I'm asking is because I plan to swap to 5-lug with Cobra fronts(keeping the back drums....at least for now). I thought the stock fox booster and MC would be ok.

Our main topic was 4-wheel disks. IN MY OPINION, all 4-wheel disk setups should upgrade the booster.

If you are leaving the rear drums, then you can retain the stock Fox MC and booster and basically see how oyu like the feel. The front 60mm calipers have a piston surface area of 5654 mm^2 combined. The cobra calipers are 4536mm^2 (94-98 Cobra) and 5028mm^2 (99-04 cobra) in total piston area. I'd suggest using 99-04 calipers which will give you a feel close to stock. The pedal will be a tiny bit firmer than normal. See how it feels from there and then decide.

In that situation that the brakes feel weak, i'd upgrade the booster, but leave the MC. (as long as you keep the rear drums)