93 T-5 First-second Annoyance

Baron164

Jul 16, 2014
Upstate NY
The T-5 in my 93 Cobra has an aftermarket short throw shifter in it. (It was there when I bought the car.) The issue I've had since I bought the car is when I'm shifting from 1st to 2nd the shifter catches on something and I have to move the shifter slightly to the right before it goes down into second. It's not a major concern at this point, just more of an annoyance when I'm trying to have a rather spirited launch and I go to shift into second and the shifter stops and I have to fuddle with it to get it into second. I'm wondering if this is an issue with the shifter or something in the transmission? If it's a shifter issue I'm not against replacing it. However if it's a tranny issue I'll just wait. It's been doing the same thing for years now so I'm not about to pull the transmission over such a minor issue. I've been told that it's a common issue with T-5's but as this is my first and only T-5 to date I have no experience to back up that claim.

• Sponsors (?)

That's been my thinking, just hoping to get some consenting opinions before I buy a new shifter or spend the time pulling the current one out. I'm pretty sure it's a Pro 5.0 shifter, it's been awhile since I've had it apart. When I first got the car it had a crazy long Hurst shifter handle on it that I hated so I found the Pro 5.0 shifter handle in a box of spare parts the previous owner had given me and put that back on.

I don't know if it's the stock clutch, I believe it's original, the cable is. I feel like the clutch might be starting to slip and I'm waiting for it to go. The rear motor seal is leaking and I've got a few other things I want to upgrade/fix when it goes and I pull the tranny out.

You actually need to shift it over to get it into 2nd?

What happens if you are clutch out in neutral, and then press clutch in and go far left and down? Will it drop in?

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

No grinding, when it's happened the stick won't move and I have to kinda wiggle it to get it to go further. It doesn't do it parked so once I get the dash put back together hopefully tomorrow I can take it out and get to happen again. What's annoying is it's not all the time, it's random, so I'll go to shift into second and 8 times out of 10 it's fine, and the other two times the stick will just stop. It's been an ongoing issue for years so I'm not concerned that something is breaking. I just think something wasn't put together properly or is a little bit off.

I just went out to the garage and with it parked I can feel when the shifter comes out of first and it feels like it falls into a dip and then it comes up out of that dip going into second. So I'm wondering if when I'm out driving it and if at a certain RPM range or something to that effect the stick gets hung up on that dip sort to speak. I hope I'm making sense, I feel it's one of those things that's extremely difficult to describe but makes sense if you drove it and experienced.