94 302/5.0 OBD-II compatability question

meanroy

Jul 8, 2004
Well Corner-Carvers is down and 'newbies' can't post urls at the Un-named other site so WTH, I'll post it here. I hope this is the correct forum, if not I hope some kind mod will move it to where it belongs! :)
I'm mostly a "Classic" mustang guy but I have a '94 GT that came with a 302. It's got some nice mods on it and I pretty much like everything about it except the 2.63 rear end.
I don't know much about EEC equiped cars and hope someone here can help.
There is a neat little device called the ScanGauge II Automotive Computer that connects to the OBD-II connector to monitor various engine 'stuff'.
The digital gauges mode displays four different properties on the screen (for example, fuel economy, battery voltage, coolant temperature, and engine speed). The trip computer tracks your vehicle's maximum speed, average speed, driving time, driving distance, trip fuel economy and several other pieces of trip data. The engine trouble code scan tool lets you read standard engine trouble codes as well as clear the "check engine" light and other warning lamps.
I am not sure it will work on a 1994 Mustang GT. The compatability list shows the 3.8 engine and also "1994" all.
So will it plug in my 302 GT? This option makes it sound very interesting!
ScanGauge II to USB Interface available in September 2006. Allows data logging, field upgrades, data downloads and more
I did a search, here and elsewhere but didn't find what I was looking for.
Thanks in advance.

Roy.
edit---
Oopsie! I followed the 'similar threads' links below and it looks like the 94 had an OBD-I, anyone think it might still be usable?

• Sponsors (?)

You don't have OBD-II. You have an EEC IV that was just starting to incorporate some of the newer features, however if you look under your dash you likely won't have an OBD-II plug. You definitely only have a 60 pin harness...

Humm ...

Thanks.
I looked at some more OBD/EEC posts and checked the compatability list again.

It appears that the device plugs in to the under dash connector if it has one.
Since the compatability list says it works with some earlier than '96 cars, there must be an option to connect directly to the computer, diagnostic port probably.

I'll see if I can find the manufacturers site and get more info.

Roy.
--edit
Ok I found them. they say it works on these.
1994 Ford Mustang 3.8
1994 Ford Cougar,Thunderbird 4.6

Is there a difference between the 3.8/4.6 EEC that makes the device incompatible? For example, do the 3.8/4.6 use the EEC V and 5.0 the EEC IV?
I checked the emissions sticker and it does NOT say OBDII complient.

I'm guessing this means I'm out of luck. :(

The EEC-IV system (which your car has) is OBD-1 based. The device you listed should work on pretty much all OBD-II cars. Ford put out the OBD-II system on their 3.8L EEC-V starting in '94, while the 5.0L stayed EEC-IV until the last of the 5.0L's in the '95 model year. So to sum it up, your car is OBD-1 and in no way is it compatible with that scanning device. The code scanners for OBD-1 computers are dirt cheap to get, or you can also get the same result using a paper clip.

Too bad

I was afraid of that. Thanks for the excellent tech.

I *kinda sorta* figured it out but it's good to get the straight scoop from guys (or gals) who know.

Roy.

I'd add that from the factory, your car should have both the OBD-I and II plugs; the OBD-II plug wont do much (believe us, people have tried to use it on 94-95 factory 5.0L cars).

Your finger slipped while typing the rear gear ratio - it should read 2.73:1.

You can use an OBD-I scanner (not reader) that views PIDs to see some life engine parameters. They do make one just for EEC-IV Fords as I recall.

Good luck.