94 Mustang Gt Cold Knock

This noise is coming from the passenger side towards the bottom. Only happens when the engine is cold. After the engine warms up, you no longer hear the noise.

It is a fresh rebuild with a little over 800 miles on it. This noise has been there since it was put back together. When I changed the oil, I did not see any metal. The car runs fine.

I know it is not the lifters because it is much too loud and it isn't a tapping sound like lifter noise.

Any suggestions as to what it may be is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, I did take it to a machine shop. I pulled it apart, took the block to a machine shop, and supplied them with all new parts except for connecting rods. They did the whole 9 yards and bored to 306. Then, I put it back together.

I was watching youtube videos and I did not come across one that sounds like mine. This noise is coming from the passenger side only towards the bottom of the block. You can hear it in the car. As soon as the engine begins to warm, it goes away.

It is an AODE and the converter is hurt. Someone had suggested it could be that rattling around but I assumed if it was, the noise would be toward the back, middle part of the engine.

I will check the headers and make sure they are tight. It would not hurt to be sure.

Just an update.. I took a closer look this afternoon. The noise is very prominent when the engine is cool. I originally thought it went away as it got warm, but it does not. It is still there, just not very loud. I waited until it got cool, turned the engine on, and unplugged the spark plugs one by one. The noise was still there until I unplugged the spark plug for cylinder 1. When it was unplugged, no noise, as soon as the wire touched the plug, the noise came back.

So, I have narrowed it down to a problem with cylinder 1, I am just not sure what the problem is. I guess I am going to have to tear it down. Again. :nonono:

Do you have stud mount rockers? Is it possible the valve isnt closing all the way and its causing a problem? I just throwing this out there I dont know why it would make a noise other than detonation maybe?