94GT engine swap question

gregr1971

Aug 10, 2009
Ive been lurking around here for a while, and now i FINALLY have run into an issue with my engine swap, and i feel it may (hopefully not) cause me a problem.
To start, my '94 has finally given up on me, the engine in it has less than 10k on it, and the #5 cylinder split open in the bore.
Today i picked up a complete engine from a early '96 explorer,
(039,616.3 are the miles on the odometer) for 350.00 from the local salvage yard, i heard the engine run, and runs great. Got it home and on the stand for some strip down and paint, well i notice there is no distributor!!!!!!! will this pose a problem??
the only thing i want to do with this engine is put my X cam in it, and cruise, i also want to keep the intake on it as well.

Can anyone tell me what is going to have to be done to make this work in my car?? If it wont work, i will sell the 3 bar heads and intake to recoup my money and continue looking.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Greg

• Sponsors (?)

It will work. The short block (block and rotating assembly) is identical to ours. You can remove the sensor in place of the distributor and drop your old one in. You did keep your old engine for parts, right?

my old engine was recently built with forged .30 over pistons, x-cam and TFS valve springs/retainers. everything else is bone stock, will i see any improvement in power with this new engine?

Yes, the biggest upgrade you get is the intake and then the heads. The explorer intakes are equal to the cobra/gt40 intakes. The gt40 heads are the cobra heads. I think explorers got the gt40p heads in 97.

So yes, it will be a nice upgrade. Not sure if the x-cam is a good match. Probably "sounds" good but i dunno about actually performing. And i dont know if valve springs from e7 heads will fit gt40 heads.

Definitely do your research before making decisions....good luck!

i am using a x cam now with more lift and duration , piston to valve clearance is acceptable.
With my combo, what would be a goo cam? (reasonably priced) and i also have 4.10 with 5 speed.
i want it to idle correctly.

the cam i am using is a cam motion custom grind, specs are:

INTAKE:
Lift:.542
Duration @ .50: 226.4
Centerline: 106

Exhaust:
Lift: .551
Duration: 230.1
Centerline: 114

Will this be a good choice??

i have an extra SVO intake elbow, and a 50oz fluidamper if anyone is interested.
[email protected]

Attachments

• 100_3027.jpg
    100_3027.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 100_3031.jpg
    100_3031.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 73