Drivetrain 95 Cobra Transmission replacement

nunly94gt

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2002
Mobile, Al
Ok so my 95 Cobra is grinding 3rd gear at high RPM shifts. Normal driving is no problem. I'm thinking the synchro is going bad there, so what are my options?
I've been out of the game for quite some time so my knowledge in the 94-95 transmissions was replaced by some other grain of knowledge.
What's out there and what's best? Car is mostly stock (tune, headers, gears, exhaust). What's my best bang for my buck.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I rebuilt mine last year. I added in a couple new gears, rebuild kit and one of those steel retainers to make the box stronger. New all aluminum radiator, Sr springs and cobra 17's,
But ever since then I haven't really driven it at all.
Now I'm doing my cat back exhaust. I gotta start driving it instead of modding it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
T5 is easy to fix with basic hand tools. Got to be careful with the words "rebuild." Rebuild kits might not include the part that is broken. Best to get it apart and see what looks bad. You can get all kinds of good used parts on ebay.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 users
T5 is easy to fix with basic hand tools. Got to be careful with the words "rebuild." Rebuild kits might not include the part that is broken. Best to get it apart and see what looks bad. You can get all kinds of good used parts on ebay.

Kurt
I'm a master tech and a transmission still scares me. It is the one thing I don't have a lot of experience with.

I'm a master tech and a transmission still scares me. It is the one thing I don't have a lot of experience with.
Only one way to get more experience....

A T5 is a good transmission to dive into for the first time IMO. Only basic tools needed other then a press, puller, and snap ring pliers. I'd rather dive into that my first time then an auto.

It will blow your mind how easy it is to take apart and put back together as a Master Tech. The repair manual with all the part numbers and instructions is free in PDF on the TTC website.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user