95 gt 5.0 manual

KS955.0

Nov 1, 2019
Iowa
Hi having an issue 1995 gt 5.0 5 speed. When i start the car my temp gauge goes way past hot as far as it can go. Then sometimes after driving awhile it pops back to normal. Was first told that it wasnt an issue. Now it is idling super rough/low and dying. The thermostat, coolant temp and IAC sensors have all been replaced. Being suggested that the whole gauge cluster needs replaced. Anything else to look at?

• Sponsors (?)

Recent tune up?
the gauge and ill running are likely two problems. Check the ground wire behind the drivers head to firewall.
what does the gauge do it you disconnect the wire from the sender?
any recent work/modifications?

Recent tune up?
the gauge and ill running are likely two problems. Check the ground wire behind the drivers head to firewall.
what does the gauge do it you disconnect the wire from the sender?
any recent work/modifications?
Nothing recent except what was mentioned. A buddy went through and checked for shorts. I will check the sender.

Keep in mind I'm not there hands on but I would give it a good tune up and check vacuum lines, pcv valve and there is a screen under the pcv valve that may need changing.
get a good repair manual not a generic haynes or chilton. Google your year/model and look for a ford assembly manual.
also there are repair tips in the technical/how to forum here:
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/technical-thread-how-to-index.808661/ (94-5 stuff is highlighted)
Look for the surging idle checklist for idle-stalling issues. Don't jump around doing the checklist, the next step depends on the result from the previous one. Jrichker and others put it together and it works when you do it step by step.
Post up any questions and let us know what you find.

20191102_105108.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
So an update. Went thru the car closely, found the distributor was worn out. Replaced it and plugs and wires. Endedup replacing raditor too. Gauge still doesn't work but it runs 10x better. Will have to pull the clusterand send somewhere to have repaired. Any suggestions in the Midwest?

There are two sensors that deal with coolant temperature. One is used by the computer (ECT sensor), and the other is used by the gauge in the dash (CTS sensor). If you didn't replace the CTS, it may be your issue. When looking at the engine from the front, The ECT is in the metal pipe on the left side of the distributor. The CTS is in the lower intake manifold on the right side of the distributor.

Reactions: 1 user
There are two sensors that deal with coolant temperature. One is used by the computer (ECT sensor), and the other is used by the gauge in the dash (CTS sensor). If you didn't replace the CTS, it may be your issue. When looking at the engine from the front, The ECT is in the metal pipe on the left side of the distributor. The CTS is in the lower intake manifold on the right side of the distributor.

Oh sorry those were the first items replaced along with the thermastate.