95 gt auto trans issues

So I recently bought a 95 gt automatic, it was having some transmission issues when I got it, it has trouble shifting into 3rd gear, as it is about to shift in to 3rd it acts as if it was in neutral and revving really high, I looked this up and I found it to possibly be the transmission range sensor, well i replaced the sensor today and now the speedometer doesn't work and it wont even shift out of 1st. I did have to remove the speed sensor from the transmission to access the TR sensor. is it possible I installed the TR sensor or the Speed sensor wrong? maybe I didn't align it correctly or something, any help or info would be greatly appreciated,

• Sponsors (?)

The PCM needs to see the signal from the VSS otherwise it will just stay in first gear (limp mode). I'm going to assume that you checked the shift cable for proper alignment and the car starts normally in Park and Neutral. Check the VSS and ensure the connector is secure and properly positioned in the transmission and the gear is present. Also check the wiring from the VSS connector back as far as you can looking for a break in the wires..

There is a cable leading from the left side of the transmission up to the bottom of the shift handle mechanism. It's the gear selector, essentially. If it wasn't there, you'd never be able to switch between Drive, Reverse and Park.

You replaced this sensor, right?

9Yly-1UrRCL9IPOOjeUSSOF2vVTp3EUN7GXrUStE3nGB6t7Vu-ILEvBDkFPJuRPOUDnJor8rPeWag4cM-diBQg2hz2mf0wWEENfC9Znfw1VBYjtzD19rixtIVI_2OK0uYmt79lWHbWMKooVLMHkglOoHV3Hbd-YpSQ=s90-c

You need to align the Transmission Range sensor. If you look at the white ring part of the sensor, you'll notice a raised line on the outer and inner parts of the ring. When the shifter is in Drive, those lines need to line up as close as you can. There is play in the bolt holes to allow you to align these lines.

Basically: Put the shifter into Drive, loosen the two bolts and turn the sensor until the two lines line up. Tighten the bolts and make sure the lines are still lined up. You should then be able to shift out of 1st.

As to the speedometer not working, the VSS is a blue metallic sensor sticking out of the back end of the transmission, on the left/driver's side. There should be a connector plugged into it. As toyman said, make sure the connector is plugged in tight. Also make sure to trace that wire as far as you can, and see if any of the wiring is melted or worn through.

so today I took off the VSS and re-installed it, now the speedo is working fine, the car is no longer revving high. but it is having trouble going from 3rd to 4th, the car is still accelerating but the Trans is struggling to get into gear, the overdrive light doesn't work on the dash, and when i push the OD button i cant feel a difference so i'm guessing the OD is out, from what I looked up it might be the OD Band, idk, any ideas anyone.

Update: I change out my trans oil and filter yesterday. I added a quart of lucas additive and four quarts of trans oil. I drove the car around the neighborhood and as soon as I hit about 30-35 mph it started jerking and it would shift up. So my friend says let's take it down the street to this transmission mechanic. We get there and explain what the car is doing and he say let me drive. So we give him the keys and we take off, the guy takes off normal and the car
drives fine no shifting issues at all. He then floors it and again it drives fine. wtf right. So he gets out and I drive it home and its all good. So we get to his house, and a few hours later I decided to go home. So I get in then reverse from the drive way and head down the street as soon as I get to about 10-15mph the car starts to jerk again and won't shift up like it was doing before, I have no idea anymore what it could. What do you guys think it is?

I suggest you replace the VSS sensor. Its only around $25 & 1 bolt to replace. Check wiring.
If you have replaced all the sensors correctly plus changed the trans fluid. I hate to say it bro but you may be looking at a rebuild. Sounds like something is wrong inside with the bands. Good luck with it.

I suggest you replace the VSS sensor. Its only around $25 & 1 bolt to replace. Check wiring.
If you have replaced all the sensors correctly plus changed the trans fluid. I hate to say it bro but you may be looking at a rebuild. Sounds like something is wrong inside with the bands. Good luck with it.

Ask around on the rebuild, most places will want to sell you an only parts guarantee, could be pretty costlly.

So I replace the VSS today and no change, Its still wont shift out of 1st, I'm thinking maybe the range sensor I replace was no good. probably going to put the old range sensor back in and see what it does, Will the computer still throw a code if the Check engine Light isn't on? I need to find someone local with a obd1 code reader.

The car is running great now. I exchanged the range sensor with another one from auto zone and changed out the fuel filter and the trans shifts good now. The check engine light stays on now but I think its just an o2 sensor. Thanks for all the help guys.

The car is running great now. I exchanged the range sensor with another one from auto zone and changed out the fuel filter and the trans shifts good now. The check engine light stays on now but I think its just an o2 sensor. Thanks for all the help guys.

Was the TR sensor bad out of the box? Your first post stated it was replaced but the photo later provided showed the VSS. If I were you I would confirm why the CEL is on. There are many things beside the O2 sensors that can trigger a CEL.

Glad you figured it out but this is one of many reasons why I can't STAND AODE transmissions. Nothing but problems...unless you spend 3 grand to have it built right. I'd rather replace 5 T5 transmissions every single year of my life than have to mess with 1 AODE.