95 GT Code 12

95CanaryPony

Sep 28, 2019
Las Vegas
I just changed the spark plugs and wires on my 95 GT and now I’m seeing a code 12. I’m not sure if the two are related or if it’s a coincidence. I’m still a novice so I’m thinking I messed something up when installing the plugs. Perhaps a gap issue. However, the car isn’t misfiring from what I can tell and runs pretty good. Anyone know what could be the issue?

• Sponsors (?)

I am getting the code 12 on the dash via the airbag light. When I start the car, the airbag light flashes once then stops and then flashes twice. This process repeats about three times until the airbag light stays on all together. I interpreted this as a code 12. However, I could be very wrong. But I will check out that thread and see if I can fix the issue. Thanks for your response bro!

I should have specified that it was an airbag code in the beginning. I read the forum you shared and it turned out I had a blown 10 amp fuse under the steering wheel. The owners manual said it was the fuse for the airbag module (aux. pwr). I went and replaced the fuse and it instantly blew again.

Are you disconnecting the battery when you fool around with the air bag? You do not want that thing going off when working around it.
pull the bag and disconnect the plug, then change the fuse, connect the battery and see if it blows.

Make sure your battery is fully charged. If the voltage drops below a certain level, the airbag system will preventatively blow the fuse to keep you out of harm's way. That was 90's technology at its best. :) There are other faults that will cause the fuse to blow, but that one's the simplest to check.

Here a good thread on the topic: https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/1994-mustang-air-bag-flashing-code-12.904822/
I posted the troubleshooting guide there way-back-when.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user