95 GT Vert Auto Plugs and wires suggestions

acpowell

May 16, 2018
Michigan
I went to a dyno day this past Saturday and learned my mustang is more like a foal. That being said I want to start with a basic engine tune up since I know it hasn't had one in an extremely long time, if at all. I have stock plugs and wires to my knowledge, what is a good recommendation to replace them with? I plan to get this in a month: https://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-cai-75tb-combo-9495gt.html so I do know if that would benefit from any particular plug/wire combo. Either way I am sure they need replacing.

• Sponsors (?)

Stock stuff is fine, no need for exotic anything, I have heard good things about the e3's, biggest miss cue I see with a lot of 'tune ups' are the plug wires just going willy nilly and all over the place. I cut and fit my wires.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I have some things to think about now.

Autolites and ford racing wires. You’ll get all that for $60, no need to spend any more than that.
I have had someone in the past tell me that OEM is just as good as anything if you are not going all out (this was with brakes) so this makes sense to me.

Any plug wires but MSD is my suggestion. Don't forget your cap & rotor.
That was also on my list of things to do this winter. Just trying to get ideas of what items I need to get.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I have some things to think about now.

I have had someone in the past tell me that OEM is just as good as anything if you are not going all out (this was with brakes) so this makes sense to me.

Motorcraft plugs are fine, it’s really not going to make a difference. Auto lite copper can be had for $1.75 and they’ll last for years. I run them on my 347 that puts down great power and I have no problems.

I run those ford racing wires too. They’re like $40 on summit.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-12259-M301

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Stock copper plugs and any decent set of wires should do the trick. I'd skip the CAI and TB as it won't really do much with a stock intake and heads. You can remove the silencer if you want.

If you really want to make power, start putting aside cash for this., vs the small bolt ons.
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-6049D-K/Trickflow-50l-Top-End-Engine-Kit-Mustang-94-95
The stuff you linked to at LMR is all well and good, but way more work than what I am willing to put into it at the moment or probably ever plus it is almost as much as I paid for the whole car. All I want is a bit more throttle response and over 200 HP. Plus it is out of stock. I cannot buy it if it is not in stock lol. I do appreciate the suggestion though.

Stock copper plugs and any decent set of wires should do the trick. I'd skip the CAI and TB as it won't really do much with a stock intake and heads. You can remove the silencer if you want.

If you really want to make power, start putting aside cash for this., vs the small bolt ons.
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-6049D-K/Trickflow-50l-Top-End-Engine-Kit-Mustang-94-95
SO for :poo:s and giggles I started doing some looking, would this be better/same/worse than the one you sugested: http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.c...irated-top-end-kit-for-1987-1995-5-0-mustang/

The stuff you linked to at LMR is all well and good, but way more work than what I am willing to put into it at the moment or probably ever plus it is almost as much as I paid for the whole car. All I want is a bit more throttle response and over 200 HP. Plus it is out of stock. I cannot buy it if it is not in stock lol. I do appreciate the suggestion though.

Due back in stock on Monday. Surely you can wait 4 days :)

I knew what you mean though. But, looking back, I spent quite a bit on bolt-ons over the years that really didn't do much individually. At the end of the day, I look back and should have just bought one of those top end kits, a set of 3.73's, some sort of exhaust combo and called it a day.

That second kit will work equally as well. I guess it all depends on if you like the TFS intake or the holley. If oyu look around you might be able to find the TFS kit with the black upper intake for the 94-95 which I think looks the bees knees

Due back in stock on Monday. Surely you can wait 4 days :)

I knew what you mean though. But, looking back, I spent quite a bit on bolt-ons over the years that really didn't do much individually. At the end of the day, I look back and should have just bought one of those top end kits, a set of 3.73's, some sort of exhaust combo and called it a day.

That second kit will work equally as well. I guess it all depends on if you like the TFS intake or the holley. If oyu look around you might be able to find the TFS kit with the black upper intake for the 94-95 which I think looks the bees knees
I originally bought this car as a fun convertible for the wife and I. I didn't plan and still don't plan on making it some HP Powerhouse. I just want the throttle to be a bit more responsive and the gearing to not be as tall (it's an auto). I planed on some minor 1 hour upgrades and then changing what I think is a 3.73 rear to a 4.10 and then just make sure it looks pretty and sounds good both exhaust wise and music wise. I truly only asked about the other kit because I saw it (I saw the black one and it is totally the bee knees). I only spent $2.8k on the car when I bought it. One of those kits are almost as much.

Yeah, but think about what an awesome car you end up with for ~$5k. Go price a late-model GT. :)

I agree completely with @Mustang5L5 - wasted years and tons of cash nickel & diming bull:poo: upgrades that I only pretended I could feel. I couldn't. And then crapped on driveability. CAI, TB, Pulleys, all worthless and you wind up with less horsepower than a modern Kia if they don't actually hurt more than help.

Enjoy it for what it is and leave it stock, or go all-out and do something you'll notice. Half-measures don't do a thing. That's my 2c after 24 years of living with this car. I went turbo instead of TrickFlow NA, but it's the same idea.

Anyways, you were talking plugs & wires. :) Tune-ups are always good, it's still going to feel relatively slow by today's standards (especially with an automatic, the manuals could rip pretty hard). 225hp at the crank in '95 was pretty competitive. Not so much in 2018.

• Agree
Yeah, but think about what an awesome car you end up with for ~$5k. Go price a late-model GT. :)

I agree completely with @Mustang5L5 - wasted years and tons of cash nickel & diming bull:poo: upgrades that I only pretended I could feel. I couldn't. And then crapped on driveability. CAI, TB, Pulleys, all worthless and you wind up with less horsepower than a modern Kia if they don't actually hurt more than help.

Enjoy it for what it is and leave it stock, or go all-out and do something you'll notice. Half-measures don't do a thing. That's my 2c after 24 years of living with this car. I went turbo instead of TrickFlow NA, but it's the same idea.

Anyways, you were talking plugs & wires. :) Tune-ups are always good, it's still going to feel relatively slow by today's standards (especially with an automatic, the manuals could rip pretty hard). 225hp at the crank in '95 was pretty competitive. Not so much in 2018.
Stuff to think about I suppose.