95 mustang GT 5.0 no anti-theft module but THEFT light constantly on, WHY.

akaNYr

5 Year Member
Jun 13, 2017
Washington state
Hi guys! I don't understand why I have my theft light constantly on in my 95 mustang, when I don't even have the anti-theft module. I don't even have a chipped key to stop the car. I have a regular ignition. If anybody can answer this and tell me how to shut off this light I would very much appreciate it.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the reply. I've had the car 6 years, you've helped me in the past. The light was on when I got in it this morning to go to work. The stranger part is I also have an 02 V6 mustang. That one does have the anti-theft module and the chip key and that anti-theft light was on this morning too. It must be contagious, LOL.

Disconnect the battery for like 30 min or more and then hook the battery back up, see if that don't reset it on the 95, I don't know about the 02, I think it may be different to deal with.
Anti theft, IIRC, was an option in 95, I believe it's in the trunk drivers side behind the panel.

Yes the bracket is there but not the anti theft module itself. I read how to reset the '02 anti theft unit. NOW HERES THE REALLY WEIRD PART! Coming home from work tonight, three blocks from my house, I looked down at the dashboard and the anti-theft light is off on the 95 mustang! I pull into the driveway and I went to go reset the O2 mustang the light.. and it was already off!!!!! I'm thinking Gremlins are doing it. LOL. Thank you again for your interest in me. helping me

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 user
Their baaaaack! I think their poltergeists living in my '95 mustang. I need a color schematic for the anti theft system in a 1995 mustang GT 5.0. There must be a short, the THEFT light goes on and off at random, although I don't know how since I don't have the anti-theft module. This has never happened before and I've had the car 6 years. I wish I did have anti theft when the car got stolen last year. For the 3 weeks it was gone I kept thinking I would probably get it back wrecked, it was totaled by my ins. company!

Their baaaaack! I think their poltergeists living in my '95 mustang. I need a color schematic for the anti theft system in a 1995 mustang GT 5.0. There must be a short, the THEFT light goes on and off at random, although I don't know how since I don't have the anti-theft module. This has never happened before and I've had the car 6 years. I wish I did have anti theft when the car got stolen last year. For the 3 weeks it was gone I kept thinking I would probably get it back wrecked, it was totaled by my ins. company!
For grins, check all of your door/hatch/hood switches. Inspect the wires and contacts carefully.

I suspect that one or more is intermittent.

Do you have keyless entry?
The anti-theft module was rare for that model, it was not passive, meaning a chipped key. It was actually just an alarm system installed in production, not the CODE alarm systems installed at the dealership.
You would see the modules in the trunk area, and the car would definitely have to have remote keyless entry (RKE).

Cars without the alarm module did not even have a bulb in that slot. So, have you had the cluster out? LED bulb conversion? Aftermarket gauge faces?

I have to admit when I get something wrong, so here goes.
I pulled 2 clusters out yesterday from 94 v6’s and both had the bulb in place for the Theft. (Neither had the low coolant or low oil bulbs)

I would look at the back of the cluster on the pcb for any evidence of shorting and the harness, maybe it’s being rubbed and grounding the signal wire.

Photo below should help you out.
The Theft “signal” is #3 on the right side connector looking at the back of the cluster.

It is supplied with constant batt voltage through the speedometer, which is #4

Since you don’t have the module to send the ground signal, I would bet it’s a bare section of wire.

Attachments

• A00758B8-2791-4627-BE7C-4863A5A58EAD.jpeg
    A00758B8-2791-4627-BE7C-4863A5A58EAD.jpeg
    747.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 95075EDD-ACF4-48D7-8EE4-442AEE4EEF19.jpeg
    95075EDD-ACF4-48D7-8EE4-442AEE4EEF19.jpeg
    708.3 KB · Views: 74
What was damaged?
He tore out the ignition and the ignition housing area. There's a broken key stuck in the trunk lock. Passenger side headliners torn out down to the metal of the roof. And other various cosmetic fixes. Hopefully I copied and pasted the link to the picture of the damaged ignition housing.

What was damaged?

He tore out the ignition and the ignition housing area. There's a broken key stuck in the trunk lock. Passenger side headliners torn out down to the metal of the roof. And other various cosmetic fixes. Hopefully I copied and pasted the link to the picture of the damaged ignition housing.

You need to start looking at the junkyards for a steering column. That one looks to me like it is 100% hosed.

• Agree
Believe it or not...I fixed the old ignition housing. Most of the pieces were on the floor. I wrapped the new ignition in Teflon tape and wired the housing pieces together. Then put JB Weld extra strength around the area that I had put back together informed a new ignition housing. It's been working fine for a year now.
I have no keyless entry, no anti theft module in trunk, no LED bulb conversion and no aftermarket gauges. I had the cluster out when I changed the bulbs to colored ones to match the car, that was 2 years ago.
Recently there's been another addition to the light problem. When I use the left blinker the headlights blink with the signal light. If the headlights are already on when I put on the blinker, the headlights get brighter and dimmer with the blinker. If I use the right signal it works fine, no blinking headlights.
The guy at AutoZone said that I should tighten my alternator belt. Battery reads 13.99 with blinker/headers going. Isn't the alt belt self-adjusting?
My brother and I are thinking the issue is in the turn signal arm. Since the the hi beam and signal are blinking together and both are located in the same arm lever. :thinking::thinking: