96-98 cobra questions... Please chime in

LilBerx

Jan 11, 2012
Logan, UT
Well, I have always had fox bodies, but I am wanting to switch it up... And I really want a 96-98 cobra, or a 99-04 GT. I know you will say just buy a 03-04 cobra, but that is out of my price range. I am wanting one that is daily drive able and able to take to the track occasionally. Here are a few questions

How many miles do the 4.6 DOHC's USUALLY last for?

How strong is the bottom end?

How wide of tire can you fit in the rear with the correct wheel?

What Transmissions did these come with?

How much RWHP does a stock cobra have?

What are the best bolt ons beides gears?

I love my fox to death, and will still have it, but I'm in the market for a new stang, and it's a mixup between a 96-98 cobra, or 99-04 GT.

Please chime in.

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I have always had fox bodies, but I am wanting to switch it up... And I really want a 96-98 cobra, or a 99-04 GT. I know you will say just buy a 03-04 cobra, but that is out of my price range. I am wanting one that is daily drive able and able to take to the track occasionally. Here are a few questions

How many miles do the 4.6 DOHC's USUALLY last for?

How strong is the bottom end?

How wide of tire can you fit in the rear with the correct wheel?

What Transmissions did these come with?

How much RWHP does a stock cobra have?

What are the best bolt ons beides gears?

I love my fox to death, and will still have it, but I'm in the market for a new stang, and it's a mixup between a 96-98 cobra, or 99-04 GT.

Please chime in.
1. Like any modern engine, they'll last for 100K+ miles if taken care of and proper maintenance has been performed.

2. IIRC, the rods are the weak point. The crank is forged and the block will handle 1000+ HP. I've seen 450HP spoken of as the magic number for a stock short block.

3. On a 10.5 or 11" wheel, a 315 will fit in the back, sometimes requiring flipping the quad shocks upside down.

4. 96-98 Cobra: T-45, 99-01.5 GT: T-45, 01.5-04 GT: TR-3650

5. Probably 260-270 to the wheels from the Cobra. The GT will likely be around 220-230 to the wheels.

6. Gears and boost. I added gears even though you said it because it is one of the very best bolt on mods you can do to any Mustang.

1. Like any modern engine, they'll last for 100K+ miles if taken care of and proper maintenance has been performed.

2. IIRC, the rods are the weak point. The crank is forged and the block will handle 1000+ HP. I've seen 450HP spoken of as the magic number for a stock short block.

3. On a 10.5 or 11" wheel, a 315 will fit in the back, sometimes requiring flipping the quad shocks upside down.

4. 96-98 Cobra: T-45, 99-01.5 GT: T-45, 01.5-04 GT: TR-3650

5. Probably 260-270 to the wheels from the Cobra. The GT will likely be around 220-230 to the wheels.

6. Gears and boost. I added gears even though you said it because it is one of the very best bolt on mods you can do to any Mustang.

Thank you, at least someone around here can give a SIMPLE answer without being rude about it. I will be taking the rear end out of my fox with the control arms and swapping to my next car... I will just have to switch the axles.

What is a decent price for a cobra?... I found one with 97k miles for $7900, is that reasonable?

Thank you, at least someone around here can give a SIMPLE answer without being rude about it.

Relax man. The questions you asked were very general and TBH if I myself was in the market for one of those vehicles I would have been doing some research myself. I'm sure I could figure out how much power a 302 can handle without starting a thread about it.

On topic, I'd go for the 96-98 cobra. The block (teksid) is a very strong aluminum block. You'll be happier with the 4v heads on the cobra. The cars are otherwise so similar, you'd pretty much be making a decision based on which you like the look of better.

Pricing you'll have to decide that for yourself based upon condition/mods/etc. 7900 isn't too far out of line provided its super clean.