96 Cobra questions

Hello All,

I am new to the 4.6 SVT Cobra. I had a 95 several years back but this is entirely different to me. So my questions are this 96 has 174,000ish miles on it. It's cammed and tuned.
1.Cold start there is always a white'ish smoke eventually goes away, what could that be? Is it a big concern.

2. Also when starting it takes a while for it to get up to proper idle. Usually when starting it just stays on and way under 1k idle then after 30 seconds or so it will get to the 1k idle marker.

3. It does do something funny with idling it sit just above 1k or a little under after warmed up.

4. Air intakes, i dont know what kind is on it but looks like some sort of aftermarket cone filter the air intake tube connected to the throttle body looks stock, so I would just have to get a regular OEM cone I am assuming.

5. Lately it's been getting on the warm side, when idling it does ok with heater on. Going high speeds it does great. Sensors look brand new, I do see just a little bit of coolant down by the termostat, I can't imagine that could be causing it.

6. I've been thinking about installing new egr, iac, coilpack, plugs, tps? any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

1- very common for valve seals to leak on the 4v. My marauder does it too when I don't drive it after a couple weeks.
2- that is how your tuner setup your tune
3- tuners again
4-I don't know what your referring to as cone but you cannot change any part of the inlet piping without changing the tune
5- Enjoy the great weather. Its been near triple digits here the heater is the last thing on my mind.
If you see coolant you have a leak you need to fix.

6- egr is probably disabled, iac is always good to replace on older vehicles, bad coil packs would cause the car to run weak, spark plugs are always good when you don't know their condition, tps is useless to replace

without knowing more about the vehicle its hard to suggest anything.

what kind of tuner do you have? what all do you have done to the car?

1- very common for valve seals to leak on the 4v. My marauder does it too when I don't drive it after a couple weeks.
2- that is how your tuner setup your tune
3- tuners again
4-I don't know what your referring to as cone but you cannot change any part of the inlet piping without changing the tune
5- Enjoy the great weather. Its been near triple digits here the heater is the last thing on my mind.
If you see coolant you have a leak you need to fix.

6- egr is probably disabled, iac is always good to replace on older vehicles, bad coil packs would cause the car to run weak, spark plugs are always good when you don't know their condition, tps is useless to replace

without knowing more about the vehicle its hard to suggest anything.

what kind of tuner do you have? what all do you have done to the car?

Hi Decipha,

1. So mine will have smoke all the time only during start occasionally though.
2. Don't know about the tune the shop i took it to didn't know about the tune either lol
4. So it currently has an air filter on the end of the intake. Its some sort of aftermarket filter I think it has the stock intake on it with the exception of the filter can I just put any filter on it as long as it fits? I was going to put a K&N on it.
5. Yes it does have a small leak I got some new hoses and thermostat and housing.

I recently put a new egr on, going to put new fuel filter. I want to do plugs and iac.

I honestly don't know a whole lot about the car except for a tune and a cam cause thats what the shop i took it to told me lol.

Check intake manifold for leaks, check intake manifold gasket --- also check valve cover gasket and or bolt torque, pcv valve and system, as well as spark plugs. Clear KAM on computer for 1-2 hours then replace. Run a bottle of fuel cleaner through it, not seafoam unless you plan on instantly changing oil / fuel filter.

Might want to put stock air filter on just to test if you are able, seal up that thermostat leak as well.