96 gt Upgrade to 99+PBR brakes

Jun 15, 2005
Ok so Im upgrading my brakes. Ive heard that these are a direct bolt on for 96-98 mustangs. Do I need anything other than the calibers and the pads? Ive heard that I need banjo bolts and maybe new brake lines?

Will these bolt up with my existing setup on my 96 gt?

• Sponsors (?)

You may need brake lines and bajo bolts depending on what year calipers you get.

I beleive 1999-2000 were fine threaded banjo bolts while 2001-2004 were coarse thread.

Either pick up a set of 99-04 brake lines and the correct banjo bolt, or get a set of stainless lines.

You will need new pads as well.

Rotors are the same, but the 99+ versions are made of a more quality metal.

You may need brake lines and bajo bolts depending on what year calipers you get.

I beleive 1999-2000 were fine threaded banjo bolts while 2001-2004 were coarse thread.

Either pick up a set of 99-04 brake lines and the correct banjo bolt, or get a set of stainless lines.

You will need new pads as well.

Rotors are the same, but the 99+ versions are made of a more quality metal.

um is my stock banjo bolt course or fine? I got a set of 2002 calipers and pads together. Why would I need new lines if I can just get a differant banjo bolt to bolt up?

Also the part numbers I have are rc11009 and rc11010 but they only come up on rock auto as a caliber for 2000 mustang.

I beleive 2002 calipers are fine thread. It's metric, M10 x 1.75 i beleive. Not sure though.

The brake lines may or may not be able to bolt up to the caliper because of thicknesses of the head. It may only be the Cobra calipers that have the issue with the 9498 cars. Just be away that you *might* need new lines.

I don't know what the 94-98 calipers are for banjo bolts. Just go to the parts store and get 2 new banjo bolts and copper crush washers for the '02 calipers

i just did this swap,you'll need new lines and banjo bolts,i have 02 calipers and the bolts are not the same,02's have a fine thread banjo bolt.i got mine from a place in mass because they were way cheaper than ford but they took forever to ship.

i just did this swap,you'll need new lines and banjo bolts,i have 02 calipers and the bolts are not the same,02's have a fine thread banjo bolt.i got mine from a place in mass because they were way cheaper than ford but they took forever to ship.
ok thanks man...So I need just any 99+ lines and the fine thread banjo bolts?

i thought the lines were the same?..

Ok so Im upgrading my brakes. Ive heard that these are a direct bolt on for 96-98 mustangs. Do I need anything other than the calibers and the pads? Ive heard that I need banjo bolts and maybe new brake lines?

Will these bolt up with my existing setup on my 96 gt?

I just did this swap on a 95 GT and had to grind some places on the spindle to allow clearance for the larger caliper , not hard just took about 5 min on each side , I already had the lines still hooked to the calipers so all I had to do was to unscrew the hoses where they connect to the metal lines up in the fenderwell area and thread the new ones in and put that metal clip back that holds the hose in the little bracket where they meet ......pretty simple I think all together I did it in under and hour ....

Only 94-95 require grinding of the spindle.

96+ is direct bolt on.

99-04 brake lines are all the same....v6, gt, cobra, mach etc.

The heads on the 94-98 GT/V6 calipers are bigger and offset. I know thery do not work with Cobra calipers, but never was sure on the 99-04 gt but everyone who has done it has changed the lines.

They are better since the first 5" off the caliper is metal, so it will resist head better. The "fix" for 94-98 Cobras that burned their brake lines while open tracking was to replace with 99-04 lines

Actually..i need to correct myself.

I beleive 2001-2004 is COARSE thread and 99-04 is FINE thread.

Just ask for banjo bolts for whatever year caliper you have and test fit it first.

you mean 99-00 is fine and 01-04 is coarse?...

So is my 96 gt fine or coarse?

I think im gonna go call the ford dealership and find out.

Correct. I have a set of calipers off a 2000 that are fine threaded.

When i took the calipers off my 2003GT to swap on Cobra brakes, those were coarse threaded.

I do not know what the 94-98 stuff is. I know that 94-98 Cobra calipers are fine thread.....so if i had to guess i'd say GT was fine thread too but not sure.

No grinding on the F6+ spindles.