96 Intake upgrades? (cobra, 99-04)?

xmikevankuikenx

Oct 16, 2005
I just purchased a 96 Saleen and want to upgrade the intake. I was wondering if the 99-04 plastic lower intakes would drop right in or not? They have a longer runner design and the 99-04 heads are different. Also, what about a 96-98 Cobra intake? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

• Sponsors (?)

xmikevankuikenx said:
I just purchased a 96 Saleen and want to upgrade the intake. I was wondering if the 99-04 plastic lower intakes would drop right in or not? They have a longer runner design and the 99-04 heads are different. Also, what about a 96-98 Cobra intake? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
If you swap to an 99-04 lower intake you nee to get the 99-04 coolant tube that goes between the heads, and either a T Fitting or drill a hole for the second temp sensor.

You can't fit a 96-99 lower intake on becoase of the different runnner design (one primary, one secondary, IMRC plates) you have to swap out the intake and heads to work this, and a new hood for clearance

Try to find the newer intake that has the aluminum cross-over, as the older, all plastic ones have been known to crack.
Also check to see if your intake has the aluminum cross-over, [if it does, then at some time the factory "all plastic" one, has been replaced] if it does, you can reuse the cross-over on the PI intake, instead of having to get it tapped for the second sensor. You may want to check into putting in the PI cams as well. The intake should be good for an extra 15 Hp, and the PI cams will bump you up another 13Hp or so, for a total gain of about 28Hp.