96 Mustang Gt Dash Question

Tyler Listro

Nov 28, 2016
Hi Everyone,
New to the forum! But I have a technical question already because I am not too familiar with how dash panels work. My brother just bought a 96 GT and the LCD lights that illuminate the gauge clusters do not work. I have taken the cluster out and checked all the wires, everything seems okay and I'm not having any power issues anywhere else that would indicate a short. Does this mean that the LCD lights on the cluster have just gone back and I should look into getting a new instrument panel?

• Sponsors (?)

Iirc, the the cluster uses regular bulbs, not LED's.

On the back of the cluster, twist the bulb caps counter clockwise, pull cap out, pull bulb straight out of cap and take it to the parts store.
They should have those in stock.

Iirc, the the cluster uses regular bulbs, not LED's.

On the back of the cluster, twist the bulb caps counter clockwise, pull cap out, pull bulb straight out of cap and take it to the parts store.
They should have those in stock.
Yeah I saw that when I pulled the cluster off. I replaced all of the bulbs, but it's still only enough to illuminate the needle, and not each individual gauge itself. So that's why I'm stumped

Just wondering. Could the head light dash dimmer knob be turned down too low? Try turning clockwise until the overhead light comes on then back off. That should be max brightness.

Just wondering. Could the head light dash dimmer knob be turned down too low? Try turning clockwise until the overhead light comes on then back off. That should be max brightness.

Yeah I initially replaced that, and no luck! Didn't solve the issue unfortunately. That's why I was wondering if it was possible that it was just the clutster itself that was bad

Then check for the possibility of a weak ground. Measure the resistance of the black wires and the black wires with a white stripe back to battery negative. Should be very low.

The cluster ground is behind the center console and is shared by many devices. The ground is frequently messed up during a radio install.