Engine 96gt Procharger Build And Head Question.

VTGT91

Jan 4, 2007
Need some help with my build for my 96 GT with a PI swap. Just picked up a Procharger P-1SC with a 10 psi pulley and want to get the car around 410 rwhp. Nothing too crazy since I don’t want to have to change the transmission and axles. First the car has about 10.85:1 compression, because of the PI swap. Going to probably pick up a set of 18cc pistons to lower it down to about 9.5:1.

Couple of questions.
If I’m shooting for right at about 410rwhp, should I be going for a set of forged rods/pistons? Or will I be ok with cast stuff?

I’m going to also be getting a stage 1 cam for it. Is it imperative that the heads get ported to reach these horsepower numbers? I don’t want to overshoot too much. It’s going to cost me 1k dollars to have it done. Is it worth it? Can I still make 410 without p&p?

If I do decide to get the heads worked who do you recommend to do the work for a fair price?

• Sponsors (?)

I would not bother changing the pistons for that HP level - with a good tune you'll make it there easily on that compression.
If you are going to go through all the work of teardown, machine work, etc. put a set of forged rods and pistons in it.
A cheap alternative is 03/04 rods if you can find a set.