Fox 97-98 mark viii Fan

Nightstang00

Mar 20, 2017
I was trying to figure out if the fan listed below is the same specs as the factory fan. Specially cfm- I bought it and hooked it up and it doesn’t seem to produce more cfm as the fan I’m running now which is peak of 2499 cfm. I searched 97 mark viii and this is the fan that comes up as an oe fit. Physically looks the same from what I can tell from photos compared to the factory fan. Any insight would be helpful. My radiator is 22 1/2 length so I am trying to figure out a better fan. I will also need to modify this fan to make it fit , so if it isn’t as powerful as the factory fan (4000+ cfm) then I want to return it.

• Sponsors (?)

I was trying to figure out if the fan listed below is the same specs as the factory fan. Specially cfm- I bought it and hooked it up and it doesn’t seem to produce more cfm as the fan I’m running now which is peak of 2499 cfm. I searched 97 mark viii and this is the fan that comes up as an oe fit. Physically looks the same from what I can tell from photos compared to the factory fan. Any insight would be helpful. My radiator is 22 1/2 length so I am trying to figure out a better fan. I will also need to modify this fan to make it fit , so if it isn’t as powerful as the factory fan (4000+ cfm) then I want to return it.

That's not a Mark VIII fan.
19010414_dor_620118_pri_larg.jpg

This is a Mark VIII fan.
MarkVIII_Fan_Front.jpg

How are you expecting anybody to know how many CFM a cut down version of a fan originally rated to 4000 cfm will flow after you've modified it?
im not expecting anyone to know that answer. I’m asking if anyone knows if the part number I listed is the same cfm as a factory unit which was 4000+. BEFORE , I modify it to install it. That way if it’s not I can return it

A genuine Mark VIII fan is 4500 cfm.
I had one for 25 years. It no longer fit & had to sell it.
The one you have is a Dorman knockoff. Look at the difference & quantity of the fan blades.
Return it. You'd probably be better off with the Contour dual fan at 3500 cfm.
LMR has them.

A genuine Mark VIII fan is 4500 cfm.
I had one for 25 years. It no longer fit & had to sell it.
The one you have is a Dorman knockoff. Look at the difference & quantity of the fan blades.
Return it. You'd probably be better off with the Contour dual fan at 3500 cfm.
LMR has them.
Appreciate your advice here. I had contour fans, then upgraded the radiator to a dual pass afco radiator. The fans were too long for the radiator. I also installed an on3 turbo and now I’m having cooling issues. The fan I’m running now is 2499 Cfm peak, derale fan with the pwm controller. I’m debating grabbing another contour fan and modifying it to fit.

Some so-called Contour fans are not OEM quality.
These are. https://lmr.com/item/LRS-8607F/mustang-contour-electric-fan-assembly-79-93

The price has risen a lot due to the current hot summer & they sell out quickly.
The length is an exact fit to the Fox Body radiator. Must cut off 2 tabs, keep the top one, it's hanger.

79-93-mustang-contour-fan-as_78436bd7.jpg

I had a Mark VIII fan in here previously. Had about 1/4" clearance until new radiator, water pump, timing cover. Then 0" clearance.
Supercharger crank pulley is oversize & auto tensioner protrudes further.
Nothing cools like the Mark VIII, if it fits your configuration & you can find one.
Fan had to be removed to get belts off. I sold the Mark VIII to someone with a similar setup as yours. His non-OEM type Contour fan wouldn't cool properly.

IMG_1695.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Some so-called Contour fans are not OEM quality.
These are. https://lmr.com/item/LRS-8607F/mustang-contour-electric-fan-assembly-79-93

The price has risen a lot due to the current hot summer & they sell out quickly.
The length is an exact fit to the Fox Body radiator. Must cut off 2 tabs, keep the top one, it's hanger.

79-93-mustang-contour-fan-as_78436bd7.jpg

I had a Mark VIII fan in here previously. Had about 1/4" clearance until new radiator, water pump, timing cover. Then 0" clearance.
Supercharger crank pulley is oversize & auto tensioner protrudes further.
Nothing cools like the Mark VIII, if it fits your configuration & you can find one.
Fan had to be removed to get belts off. I sold the Mark VIII to someone with a similar setup as yours. His non-OEM type Contour fan wouldn't cool properly.

IMG_1695.JPG
Got ya. I grabbed my previous contour fan from a junk yard. Factory stamping, $30 bucks, can’t go wrong. My radiator is only 22 1/2 in in length. The contour fan is like 24in. I’d have to modify it. I may go that route , my current derale fan fits perfectly, but not sure if it’s enough. I may wire it to my Microsquirt and see if my fan controller isn’t working that effective

Got ya. I grabbed my previous contour fan from a junk yard. Factory stamping, $30 bucks, can’t go wrong. My radiator is only 22 1/2 in in length. The contour fan is like 24in. I’d have to modify it. I may go that route , my current derale fan fits perfectly, but not sure if it’s enough. I may wire it to my Microsquirt and see if my fan controller isn’t working that effective
I looked at that fan you listed ,in the questions, answered airflow 2400 cfm,return that turd a.s.a.p.