Engine 97 Shortblock Assembly Notes

Rcdgl

5 Year Member
Feb 19, 2018
So, update, I am assembling my 331 stroker into a 97 Explorer block. This has been a major learning experience, since its my first roller cam block, and I am still going carbed. Its replacing a flat tappet engine based on a 68 block that was built in 87. Its a SCAT 28 oz balanced assembly.

Some notes:

The 97 came with dowels for the front cover, the timing cover from the 80 Capri did not, so I am using a new FRPP cover. Had to plug the front dipstick hole.

The orientation of the coolant inlets does not seem to be an issue, as the water pump backing plate has round holes. I am using an 85 Crown Vic std rotation waterpump. Both the 80 Capri cover I was using and the FRPP item seem identical in that regard. Will mock up the pulleys soon.

The 97 came with an adapter for the Explore oil filter adapter, and will not accept a filter, Installed the one from the 68 block.

Using a FRPP one pc fuel pump eccentric. The Comp XE HR cam came with both cam dowl pins.

New balancer with the kit. Still needs the spacer to mount the crank pulley.

Still messing with valvesprings. I have older AFR heads with 11/32 valve stems, vice their current 8 mm and getting a spring package has been painful.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

• Sponsors (?)