99-04 Convertible Compared To Coupe (gt)?

Gabe_02Ruby

Jun 1, 2017
I've been referring to these forums for a long time for help, thought it was finally time to get involved lol. But I was wondering, how much slower is a New Edge GT convertible than a regular GT Coupe? I have a 02 Gt vert and it's a little discouraging seeing that my 0-60 is supposed to be over half a second slower than a coupe, just a little curious! Thank you

• Sponsors (?)

OK. I own a 2000 GT coupe with manual transmission. I also owned a 2003 Mustang GT convertible with an automatic transmission. I can say from first hand experience the Coupe is quicker in every way.

I personally thought the difference was due to:
  • The weight difference between the coupe and the convertible. The Convertible is heavier than the Coupe.
  • The weight difference between a manual and automatic transmission.
  • The parasitic pumping losses in an automatic transmission.
Of course on a good weather day the Convertible beats the coupe hands down! <remembering hair blowing in the wind and sun on my face. Sigh>

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
OK. I own a 2000 GT coupe with manual transmission. I also owned a 2003 Mustang GT convertible with an automatic transmission. I can say from first hand experience the Coupe is quicker in every way.

I personally thought the difference was due to:
  • The weight difference between the coupe and the convertible. The Convertible is heavier than the Coupe.
  • The weight difference between a manual and automatic transmission.
  • The parasitic pumping losses in an automatic transmission.
Of course on a good weather day the Convertible beats the coupe hands down! <remember hair blowing in the wind and sun on my face. Sigh>
Thanks for the input! I always catch myself wishing I had a Coupe, but my friends always tell me that if I had a Coupe, I'd be saying I wanted a vert lol . Mine is also an auto but I'm gonna start looking at the positives lmao

my 2003 GT auto ran a 9.550 pass in the 1/8th mile on a good day, with 170,000 miles my 99 gt vert 5 speed runs 9.540 in the 1/8th last night actually and believe me i loved my auto car for drag racing but to me the vert with 5 speed was real good

Exactly. You prob use your vert more than I ever used my 14.1 ET

This is a valid point. I would think vert buyers would be more about the top down luxury aspect of driving than the performance. Not to say you can't be about both but if you were more interested going fast, wouldn't you have bought the coupe 5 speed in the first place?

Also that wind in the hair can make 45 mph feel like 80 mph. I haven't had a convertible in a long time. Hmmmm...

Sketchy GT for a reason, i bought this car because it is low miles just clicked 100k not really thinking i would ever use the convertible, i just wanted another New Edge I just have thing for them, but after the first time the top is down every chance I get and i still beat on this thing at the track almost every week. I plan to keep this car and will beat on it for about the next two years. After that I may buy another coupe, but i keep the vert for a cruiser.:)