99 cobra NEED HELP BAD

PI98stang

Jan 17, 2006
Paoli indiana
Alright guys im lost maybe you can help ive got a 99 cobra its got a V1 vortech supercharger @10lbs of boost hooker headers and right now only a hooker x-pipe installed (no cat-back) i bought it wrecked and drove the car a couple times and it ran fine, and pulled hard I talked to the previous owner and he said that the car is tuned for 8lbs of boost but he put a 10lb pulley on it and it was crashed before he had a chance to retune it. SO on with my problem the drivers side engine im not sure which bank it would be fouls the plugs so bad theyre soaked when you take them out the pass. side fouls them as well but not nearly as bad well needless to say it runs terrible, barely moves out of its own way my air fuel ratio says its running lean but i the motor wont pull past 3000rpm without almost dying terrible missing, so on the drivers side i checked the coils, and inectors ohms they all were fine and now im lost because i dont see the 02 sensor making it run that bad and i dont know what to do its getting 45lbs of fuel at the rail so im sure thats ok as for DOHC supercharged engines im lost so PLEASE HELP ME!!!:bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, slow down here. It's very difficult to read when you type everything in one big long sentence.

Now, you said the drivers side of the engine, is fouling plugs.. you said they are soaked. With what? Oil, coolant, gasoline?

When did all this start happening? You said you drove it a few times and it ran fine, so what happened between then and now? Did you leave it sit for a long time, or drive the hell out of it and blow something up?

For one, it probably needs a tune. Secondly, it probably needs a step or 2 colder plugs, but if they are oil soaked, you've got other problems which spark plugs aren't going to cure.

Please fill us in with some more info and we'll work with what you give us.

ok now the car was bought about 3 weeks ago and it ran fine
drove it about 30 miles ran fine was just driving fine and it started running like crap all at once, not running the hell out of it either

The drivers side plugs all 4 are soaked in i believe gasoline

It has a terrible miss and surge in its idle from 500-2500 rpm

like i said earlier i checked all i figured it could be with no avail

i also had a code 6040 or something about the pcm but it starts halfways decent but runs terrible everything works and it happened all at once

My Lightning recently was doing something similar. I had 4 rich cylinders and 4 lean. Did you put a new battery in or surge the power in any way? The problem with my Lightning was the PCM. It took the techs @ Ford 3 weeks to figure it out. They had to bring my truck back to stock and check every single sensor. Sometimes the computers just go. They aren't too expensive. If I had to guess that would be it. These newer Mustangs are really complicated.

Yeah that sounds about like it the drivers side wants to run really rich while the passengers side wants to run lean, and I just put a battery in it that I thought was too small for the car. So the battery was changed just before the car started doing this, did your truck run very very rough but would start fairly easy and have alot of idle surging also? I work as a gm technician but this thing is like none of the gms so im lost on it, but did they just reflash you pcm or did you have to completly replace it?

alright guys I tried to reset the PCM by unhooking the battery for 15 mins and draining all system voltage and it didnt help any. So I was thinking the way it was acting it seems as if the drivers side of the engine is out of time and is getting worse now it wont idle without almost constant backfire from the exhaust. So with the enine showing a P1640 I belive would this be a PCM failure like the code says or could it be a CMP camshaft positioning sensor? I would think a cmp sensor could adjust timing on a specific side of the engine without showing a DTC as it may think that its working properly. But if you guys have any input please let me know as I need help badly. The engine is a ford reman with 3500 miles on it so I dont see any engine problems as it went from runnig A1 to this in a matter of minutes.And i also noticed that its making a like ticking noise on the drivers side of the motor up around the upper head area but its not a constant noise I checked to see if it was jumping fire but its not the noise is still there but the car is running extremely rough with no power whatsever to pull itself. The noise could be a spark knock due to off timing??

Well i found the problem earlier not quite as easy as I had hoped, I was right its a timing problem and I pulled the CMP to find it had aluminum shavings on the end of it:(
So I then pulled the valve cover and there it was the tensioner looked like its bolts had backed off allowing it to come off and let the timing chain break so the cam which is closest to the intake on the drivers side has a broked timing chain which i would think it would be the exhaust the way if backfires so bad well i guess now if anyones done cam chains on a DOHC post away I know its gotta SUCK.:bang:

Well thats kinda not an option as I bought the car from a rebuilder lot, in Indiana where im from but the cars from texas. With a little research I was able to find the previous owner thanks to the many mustang forums. But he just replaced the engine and trans at 47000 miles now at 51000 miles. So im up s**t creek there but I only have 8500 in the car now with no body damage so im still in the clear. You guys tell me what kinda price you would say the setup is worth.

1999 actual SVT Cobra
(Rebuilt title due to very light rear end hit have pics of accident)
* T-56 Transmission(6-speed)
* Vortech Supercharger(10lbs of boost)
* Honed Intake Manifold
* 87mm Pro-M Mass Air Meter
* 42lb Injectors
* Aluminum Driveshaft
* Short Shifter
* Autometer Full A-Pillar
* -Boost
* -Air/Fuel Ratio
* -Water Temperature
* Autometer 5" Tach with Shiftlight w/ adapter
* Custom Engine Management Program by SHM
* Hooker Longtube headers
* Hooker Off-road Xpipe
* Flowmasters W/ center dump
* Eibach Sportline Spring Set
* Solid rear end swap with
* -4.10 gears
* -Moser 31 spline axles
* -31 spline Traction Lock
* -MAC girdle
* 3" Cowl hood
* Cervini Cobra R Front Lip
* Front slotted rotors
* 18” Saleen Chrome Wheels
* Nitto 555 Extremes
* Viper Alarm (Proximety)
* Tinted Front headlights(and original clear)
* Tinted Windows
* 03 Cobra 6speed shift knob
* Fan switch, etc etc.
* 03 Cobra Rear bumper cober