99 GT - Engine build cobra crank, need help figuring out balancing!

sethgunn

Dec 4, 2012
Guys,

I've been building a 4.6 2v for a turbo for a while now. I'm well on my way now starting to get to the accessories part of the build. Basically I have a Windsor block from my 1999 Mustang Gt 2v, and I put in a forged crank (I was told it was an 03-04 cobra crank, I can tell it's forged, but apparently the 99-01 cobra cranks were also forged??).

Here is the problem though. With all the mixing of parts and year models I don't know if I need to very carefully choose my Harmonic Balancer and flywheel? I believe I read the 99-2000 mustangs were externally balanced and the 01-04 were internally balanced? Is this right?

So do I just really need to match the crank? it has an 8 bolt flange for the flywheel, maybe that'll help identify exactly which year. I'm just at a loss because there are so many possibilities to choose from and I don't want to crank it the first time and it blow up.

Thanks for any help

• Sponsors (?)

Unlike pushrod motors, you don't have various engine balances that you have to worry about. All of your mod motors, whether it's a 4.6, 5.4, or 5.0; they're all going to be a zero balance, meaning they're all internally balanced in the engine. On your pressure plate bolts, you do have to make sure that you get the right ones, because your 10-1/2 inch clutch uses a different set of pressure plate bolts than your 11 inch clutches. While I'm at it,just to throw another wrench in there, pretty much all of your pressure plates are going to be 6 bolt, up until 2011. In late 2011, Ford went to a nine bolt pressure plate that carried through to 2014

8 Bolt Flywheel

• 96-98 Cobra
  • Some 1999, 2000, and early 2001 GTs
  • 99-01 Cobra
  • 03-04 Cobra
  • 03-04 Mach 1
  • 07-14 GT500
  • 11-14 GT
  • Note: All Cobra cranks are forged. Mach1 stick forged.

I guess I never knew there was such a big difference for the V6 mustangs. So then all the 4.6 V8's were internally balanced? and then just the flywheel and the harmonic balancer should be neutral?