99 gt whining noise at high speed

warrior86

Apr 19, 2005
Hey guys. I have been noticing lately that whenever im doing highspeeds for a decent amout of time 85-90mph and/or being hard on it as far as acceleration goes, i begin to hear this whining noise. I cant really tell where its coming from. It almost sounds like the whining noise from a jet airplane. Any ideas what this may be? is it normal? Everything is running smoothly, its just this noise. Its pretty loud too. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks

btw, ive only had this car for about a month so i dont remember if it always did it or not.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like an aftermarket shifter or gears to me, only happens when in 5th gear? If so you probly have an aftermarket shifter with a thin bead of gasket maker... if its the shifter, re-apply some gasket maker OR buy one of the premade gaskets from www.v6mustangstuff.com If its the gears, they could be going out OR the person who installed them didn't heat them up (break in) properly.

*EDIT* Just re-read and realized you said the gears are stock... make sure of the shifter, if its not the shifter its most likely the gears... good excuse for a 3:73 or 4:10s swap.

I've never had this issue with my Mustang but I did have a similar issue with my old Mazda MX-3. In my case it was as soon as I shifted into 5th gear. Of course most of the time I didn't hear the whining noise because of the radio being so loud but it was there and after awhile, I completely lost 5th gear. Everytime I shifted into 5th, it was just like being into neutral. I'm not sure if your issue is exactly the same but it does sound somewhat similar.

well, i do have an aftermarket hurst shifter. But as said before, this noise is NOT constant. And yeah, after doing my 85mph run for ten minutes, its make the noise through all the gears at all rpms. And yeah, its fairly loud. The best thing i can relate it to is the sound you hear inside a 747 when your about to take off or something.

ill try gettin the sound to come back to get a better idea of exactly when it comes and when it goes. thanks for alll the help so far, i really appreciate it.