'99 Header Support Panel Discrepancy

Narmalee

Nov 5, 2014
Wondering if anyone has this issue/ or found the fix for it

So, on removing the quest to install a fiberglass hood, and hoodpins... pulled the bumper cover and header support, both have issues and so i ordered a new headlight support piece, and started watching for a new replacement bumper

Header support came from LMR, and would not fit no matter how much i tried... so... putting the old together ontop of the new... i discovered the new piece is 7/8 of a inch to short... and honestly, it looks like it shrunk in the wash... maybe they took it out of the mold too soon... i dont know

why this is an issue... i went several hours out of my way yesterday to pick up a used header support... and... it was an original fiberglass piece... that is ALSO 7/8 shorter than mine... my support piece is fiberglass and i dont really want to repair two tabs, but im not finding any replacements... and maybe im stuck repairing it...
im just posting here before i spend abunch of time repairing something i that i could buy, as of running my business i have no time anymore for these DIY repair projects

thanks for the help :)

• Sponsors (?)

20230330_171052.jpg
20230330_171103.jpg
20230329_185543.jpg

Let me ask you this:

Was the front of the car damaged in some way?
Is it possible that your piece is not longer/shorter but has changed shape due to damage?
If so, this might explain why these pieces are not fitting.

Reactions: 1 user
Let me ask you this:

Was the front of the car damaged in some way?
Is it possible that your piece is not longer/shorter but has changed shape due to damage?
If so, this might explain why these pieces are not fitting.
yes, the lower radiator support had been driven upwards by maybe a rock or something else in the very center from the girl that owned it before me

however the factory piece is fiberglass... there is no way you stretch fiberglass that much after its set... it would shatter, was actually surprised how heavy it was when i took it out

even setting them ontop of each other doesnt reveal anything out of the norm, the factory piece is the same shape, bends and curves as the LMR piece... basically it looks just like the aftermarket one... if it was stretched or warped, you'd be able to see it

is there a difference in header supports for 99 being the first year maybe?

yes, the lower radiator support had been driven upwards by maybe a rock or something else in the very center from the girl that owned it before me

however the factory piece is fiberglass... there is no way you stretch fiberglass that much after its set... it would shatter, was actually surprised how heavy it was when i took it out
Over time and with enough heat cycles, it will change shape. One of my jobs for a couple of years was working on boats. There were a few "WTF" moments that were similar in nature.

You mentioned above that you had little time to 'fool' with it. I might suggest calling around and finding a shop with a frame straightener and explaining the situation. For context, this was something I did to my 86 before installing my subframe connectors. It wasn't crazy expensive and did require some adjustment, incidentally.

Over time and with enough heat cycles, it will change shape. One of my jobs for a couple of years was working on boats. There were a few "WTF" moments that were similar in nature.

You mentioned above that you had little time to 'fool' with it. I might suggest calling around and finding a shop with a frame straightener and explaining the situation. For context, this was something I did to my 86 before installing my subframe connectors. It wasn't crazy expensive and did require some adjustment, incidentally.
no kidding?! i just literally said those very words reading that LOLOL!

i wonder if its related to why the top doesnt quite go down all the way in the passenger side, sticks up maybe 1.5" more than driver side...

it holds a perfect alignment tho, and when i put the maximum motor sport K member in everything lined up perfectly, subframe connectors also went in with nothing wonky there.... hmmmmm a mystery

edit: wait... wouldn't this show up on the hood gaps though? 7/8 would be nearly a half inch gap additionally on both sides of the hood, and it looks perfectly normal

no kidding?! i just literally said those very words reading that LOLOL!

i wonder if its related to why the top doesnt quite go down all the way in the passenger side, sticks up maybe 1.5" more than driver side...

it holds a perfect alignment tho, and when i put the maximum motor sport K member in everything lined up perfectly, subframe connectors also went in with nothing wonky there.... hmmmmm a mystery

edit: wait... wouldn't this show up on the hood gaps though? 7/8 would be nearly a half inch gap additionally on both sides of the hood, and it looks perfectly normal
Not necessarily. It didn't have to all bend up that far. There are crumple zones built into the framework.

so getting weirder...

so all of this has been because im putting a Cervini cowl hood on... so... measuring their hood and the factory hood, exactly the same +/- 1/16...

if i bend the fenders in enough to fit the LMR bucket panel... the gap for the fender to hood closes to where the fenders are rubbing the hood... there is something else going on

i guess im going to have to try to repair the fiberglass OEM header support panel, there is no way this LMR one is going to work, guess i get to try my hand at fiberglassing now... yay lol