99 mustang dyno numbers good or bad

rispoli_23

Jul 7, 2008
hey guys was wondering what u think about these numbers i have never had my car dynoed before so i dont know if they are good or bad..

99 mustang gt 5spd 240rwhp

cms stage 1 cams
acufab 75 tb
C&l plenum
typhoon intake manifold
o/r h pipe with flows
jlt short ram
sct x3

are these good numbers i do know the dyno was not a dynojet i just want to make sure im on the right track i do know it was running lean before the dyno tune and now the car runs like A whole new car

• Sponsors (?)

If it was a Mustang Dyno I think those numbers are real close. A dynojet would read at least 20RWHP more, so there is your 260RWHP roughly. My dyno on a Mustang Dyno was 273RWHP. Other Mach's with the same exact mods that dyno on a dynojet are getting 295-300RWHP.

that typhoon is a piece of junk. Every reputable shop that has tested them under proper conditions has LOST power against a PI at every RPM. That said, your numbers are not low. Unless your heads are ported, the rest of your mod just don't add up to a lot of power. Figure stock it was 215rwhp, maybe 5 HP on the plenum, 8 on the exhaust, 20 on the cams, and negative 5 on the intake. Your TB and CAI are not adding anything at you power levels. That puts you right at around 240. I think your car is running just fine for the mods it has.

I'd say it's close. On a dynojet you'd probably put down 250-260 rwhp, so I don't think it's anything to worry about. Did you use the stock cam gears or go with adjustable? My numbers were a little lower than I was hoping for because I didn't buy aftermarket adjustable cam gears.

Gonna agree with Midnight2V, that intake is just not much guy. Only advantage is if later you decide to port match it to a port job on your heads. But with current mods it hurts you. So the 240 reading would be somewhat justifiable.

I would check your tune settings as well. Was it from factory or did you have a programmar tweak it for you? Raising your rev is needed for those cams to deliver like they should. Too many of a time power is suffocated due to bad tuning...

If it was a Mustang Dyno I think those numbers are real close. A dynojet would read at least 20RWHP more, so there is your 260RWHP roughly. My dyno on a Mustang Dyno was 273RWHP. Other Mach's with the same exact mods that dyno on a dynojet are getting 295-300RWHP.

I don't think it would be that big of a difference if that is the case then my 293rwhp is more like 313rwhp if I went on a dynojet?

I don't think it would be that big of a difference if that is the case then my 293rwhp is more like 313rwhp if I went on a dynojet?

A 5 speed Mach dyno's 275-280RWHP bone stock on a dynojet. I highly doubt I gained 0 horsepower with Catback, Midpipe, CAI and tuner. Between the Tuner and CAI I know I gained 16RWHP from just those two mods. Throw in 4RWHP apiece with the Catback and Midpipe and that's 25 RWHP gain on a dynojet for near 300RWHP.

Mustang dynos (eddy current type) typically read about 8-10% less than any type of inertial dyno (dynojet or otherwise) when they are all corrected for environmental conditions. So yes, if you dyno 293 on a mustang dyno, you will probably see a higher number if your original was properly corrected.

WOW... thanks for the response guys it was a big help i still have a lil mixed feelings about the numbers but i will check a few things like the compression it is a 99 with 78k miles and when my plastic pi intake cracked last month i thought i was doing good by buying the typhoon manifold and yes i did notice i difference at higher rpms then before and my low end has always been weak since i still have the factory 327 gears .... when my tuner first put it on the dyno it was running lean and making 230 rwhp and after he tuned it thats when it made 240 ... so i know he did something right but i did not get a print out so im not sure about the revs ... anyways thanks everyone for the imput kep them coming

The guy who custom tuned my GT said i was missing out on some real RWHP with out long tubes with my cams. The stock manifolds are choking!

Yea, I couldn't say for sure because I added LT's w/cams and never had my car dynoed before that...but I thought the general consensus was LTs make power even on a stock valve-train setup and even more on an aftermarket one especially one that is skewed towards the higher RPM range.

WOW... thanks for the response guys it was a big help i still have a lil mixed feelings about the numbers but i will check a few things like the compression it is a 99 with 78k miles and when my plastic pi intake cracked last month i thought i was doing good by buying the typhoon manifold and yes i did notice i difference at higher rpms then before and my low end has always been weak since i still have the factory 327 gears .... when my tuner first put it on the dyno it was running lean and making 230 rwhp and after he tuned it thats when it made 240 ... so i know he did something right but i did not get a print out so im not sure about the revs ... anyways thanks everyone for the imput kep them coming

One thing to think about is numbers are just that, numbers and dynos to vary, you might want to take it to the track to get a real idea of the power your car is making.

that is true i should take it to the track because i know its running ok because i have lined up on the street with 05-09 gts and pull away from them they always get me off the line because my bottom end sucks!!! it just drives me crazy when i see other guys posting there numbers at like 260 or 280 and they only have cai and exhaust and maybe a tb and plenum i guess i expected more out of my cams .... but who knows maybe its the dyno that was used ... do u guys think the typhoon manifold will work better with some stage2 heads