A/C Air Conditioning re install compressor and fittings questions

stantonxr7

Jan 22, 2013
Looking to hook up the A/C again in my 68 cougar xr7 while converting to a modern sanden compressor with R134A refrigerant. No, it's not a mustang but anyone who's a mustang guy, shouldn't have a problem.

My question is which compressor should I buy? I've been looking at Sanden compressors and not sure exactly which one I should buy. 60-01578 NC came up as a part number for replacement compressor.

I have all the original parts for the A/C system besides the compressor and the small piece that attaches near the firewall.

Second question is I've read that the old compressors had a different fitting "flared" I believe compared to the modern Sanden compressors. What adapters or new lines are needed.

Third, should I buy a new drier? What is the benefit to new v. old?

Anyone who's gone through this conversion would be of great help.
Also, does the original belt style tensioner work with this updated system?

• Sponsors (?)

I'd give the guys at classic auto air a call, when I called about my original air system, the guy I got was the one that wrote the installation manual for their perfect fit system, and he also knew a lot about the stock system. Didn't try to upsell me, and ended up helping with what I needed to repair my original ac, and upgrade to 134a.

And on the question about tensioners, you should have a fairly similar setup to mine, so yes.

Attachments

• DSC_0019.JPG
    DSC_0019.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 162
  • DSC_0020.JPG
    DSC_0020.JPG
    974.5 KB · Views: 149