Engine A/C compressor recommendations

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
As the title says, Any recommendations for a new or rebuilt compressor?
Prices are all over the place, but the 4 seasons seem to be the priciest? Are they nice units?
I would really like to send my original ford unit out and have it rebuilt.... Took the manifolds off the compressor and it is spotless inside..
Anyone know of a rebuilder that will rebuild yours??
thank you

• Sponsors (?)

Reactions: 1 user
yes you can, rebuld your own.
but if you want a recommendation I got mine from rock auto,best price for brand new unit.
I think its been 2 or 3 years and its working like a charm, in the desert I call home Nevada.

Post #2 was where I did mine. I'm assuming 1983 also used the 6P148 compressor?

Wasn't that hard really. Just need a clean area to work.

Last edited:
yes you can, rebuld your own.
but if you want a recommendation I got mine from rock auto,best price for brand new unit.
I think its been 2 or 3 years and its working like a charm, in the desert I call home Nevada.
I looked at Rock Auto.. Seem by the time you pay core freight, a local auto parts store would be a better alternative?

I looked at Rock Auto.. Seem by the time you pay core freight, a local auto parts store would be a better alternative?
when I got mine there was no core,it was a brand new unit part#7511750 ( fits83-93) with discount, $7.99 shipping and tax $244.51.
that was back in 2020

As the title says, Any recommendations for a new or rebuilt compressor?
Prices are all over the place, but the 4 seasons seem to be the priciest? Are they nice units?
I would really like to send my original ford unit out and have it rebuilt.... Took the manifolds off the compressor and it is spotless inside..
Anyone know of a rebuilder that will rebuild yours??
thank you
I converted my 1991 foxbody 5.0 lx to r132 bought everything brand new from summitracing I kept the manifolds off the old r12 compressor and used them on the new r132 compressor all new seals everywhere and it lasted a month and started blowing warm air not sure why ...do I need to install those compressor manifolds from LMR?

I did my 90 Fox with a Classic Industries brand new air conditioning set up. Works great, and looks even better. I will say that I couldn't get 132 to work so ES12 went right in, and ice cold air $950

I converted my 1991 foxbody 5.0 lx to r132 bought everything brand new from summitracing I kept the manifolds off the old r12 compressor and used them on the new r132 compressor all new seals everywhere and it lasted a month and started blowing warm air not sure why ...do I need to install those compressor manifolds from LMR?

No, you don’t need the manifolds unless yours are damaged/corroded where the o-ring creates the seal. If there is any damage that would compromise that seal, then they should be replaced.

You have a leak somewhere on the system and need to find it.

I skip the dyes and lights and go right to the Sniffer.

I used a TIF XL-1 which works quite well for R-12/R-134a and has found tiny leaks. You can get these on EBay for $50 used. It’s just much faster.
EF5A68AF-1617-43AA-BA9A-910BF69D7718.jpeg
If you system is empty you can squirt a little R134 in the system (if you have converted and have compatible oil). Just enough for positive pressure. Then you can sniff around and try and detect the leak.

A very common leak point is the shaft seal on the compressor (I know you said yours is brand new) and a clue might be oil residue on the snout of the compressor under the clutch area. This area leaks with r12, so it definitely will leak with the smaller 134a molecule. The sniffer does a good job here.

Like said, R-134a is smaller than r12, so all the o-rings in the system need to be changed out to the green style that is compatible with 134a. (Already done with kits and every new line you buy these days.) Problem is to change the shaft seal, the entire compressor needs to be disassembled. Many folks skip this, so when the system leaks out again, it’s likely this spot that is the source of leaking.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 users
I agree about the shaft seal... While I am not a pro on AC, the compressors I have checked in the past ( using soapy water in a spray bottle) all gave up bubbles on the shaft seal....

Any recommentations on which disconnect tool to purchase? Does the scissor tool work fine ( in the attachment)
1654353237666.png
, or would one be better off buying the kit of the seperate sizes?
1654353237666.png