A combination to the safe...

Bree

Jan 12, 2021
Zanesville Ohio
I have to pump the break pedal until it's rock hard, put the car in neutral, and then start it, otherwise, I'll never get it out of park! If the break pedal isn't rock hard at the top of it's travel, I can''t depress the lock button on the side of the gear selector. It goes into park fine with the engine running. If I were say for example, in a drive through, and I put it in park while at teh window, I have to shut it off, and do the routine all over again.
I figure it's some kind of a safety lock out that needs adjusted??? I guess what I really wanna know is - is this going to be a fairly easy fix, or should I just live with it?
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Safety lock out for shifter on 90-93 cars. I’ll have to pull up the diagram later, but it works off the brake light switch and operates a solenoid which mechanically unlocks the shifter.

can you Back up to a window and check your brake lights and see if the issue is related to the brake light switch? Are your lights going on when you step on your pedal in all conditions?

Fuse = fine. So I tried to get in to see the switch, something I could have easily done 20 years ago, but now, not so much! :( Actually, it's probably more the miles than the years, but that's another story for another time.
So I was able to at least put my finger on the back of the switch, and when I did, everything was groovy! So not I'm wondering, is the switch shot, or just out of adjustment? I couldn't get up in there good enough to see if it had an adjuster on it.

Those brake light switches are very picky as yo how they are installed. If not installed right they may not depress.
C6023808-476D-432F-9593-DB65A87E2F80.jpeg
Pulling the drivers seat out and laying a towel down over the seat studs can make looking at the switch easier

It was in deed the break light switch! :) I couldn't wiggle myself p in under there to do it, so I took it to a shop. I took the guy over 2 hours to get it to go in and line up. Something that helped, I took an old shovel handle, (that had previously broken off, so I cut it even and was using it for a trunk prop as the hydraulic’s were bad) and used said handle to reach in and hold down on the pedal. Another plus, while he was pulling the old switch out, I changed the hydraulics, so I no longer need the a-fore mentioned shovel handle! I also replaced the wiper blades to! One of the big things was bushing #14010 as shown in 5L5's post above, kept wanting to fall off every time he'd reach for the clip. Then the clip got lost, so he had to find another one. What a day that was!

Fuse = fine. So I tried to get in to see the switch, something I could have easily done 20 years ago, but now, not so much! :( Actually, it's probably more the miles than the years, but that's another story for another time.
Getting old and fat sucks....LOL.... I take out my seat in my Dodge to work under the dash... Four nuts and its out.... Who is that dashing looking Silver fox in the rear view mirror? LOL
DSCF0160.JPG

Getting old and fat sucks....LOL.... I take out my seat in my Dodge to work under the dash... Four nuts and its out.... Who is that dashing looking Silver fox in the rear view mirror? LOL
DSCF0160.JPG
Nice car,cool pic.

Reactions: 1 user
It was in deed the break light switch! :) I couldn't wiggle myself p in under there to do it, so I took it to a shop. I took the guy over 2 hours to get it to go in and line up. Something that helped, I took an old shovel handle, (that had previously broken off, so I cut it even and was using it for a trunk prop as the hyrolics were bad) and used said handle to reach in and hold down on the pedal. Another plus, while he was pulling the old switch out, I changed the hydrolics, so I no longer need the a-fore mentioned shovel handle! I also replaced the wiper blades to! One of the big things was bushing #14010 as shown in 5L5's post above, kept wanting to fall off every time he'd reach for the clip. Then the clip got lost, so he had to find another one. What a day that was!
I can sympathise, I older and slim and I still take the seat out and lose the clip and even a 10mm socket that I wasn't even using!! :doh:

Reactions: 1 user
DSCF0160.JPG
Well there you go,...three things you and I agree on..Getting “old” sucks, removing the driver seat to work under the dash is just too easy not to, and a mid 60’s Dodge is a cool assed car.

I wasn't exactly up for taking the seat out. Partly because it has the inflatable lumbar, and I didn't want to disconnect all that jazz.... But mostly because last couple times I took seats out of something, I got into a rust bolt situation, and I really didn't want that headache!
My adopted brother of sorts said he'd take care of it for a case of beer! That was a good deal in my book!

• Useful
Reactions: 3 users