A little clarification?

Maybe. I also think the world has enough anal people too. :)

So, are you calling the early models 2+2's or not?

If you are looking for parts on ebay, do you search under Sportsroof or fastback?

I see your flair for drama is still intact. :) This isn't a cure for cancer, and correcting people on sportsroof vs fastback seems pretty damn petty to me.

• Sponsors (?)

technically there was never a mustang fastback. 2+2 or sportsroof only. i still call 'em fastbacks though. i think the term fastback was actually coined for NASCAR racing in the early 60's and no car that i know of ever came from the factory called a fastback

You could get 65s with 2+2 identification in the way of GT style rocker stripes but not sure if it was an actual option package. My cousin had one.

MaxPower,
I think you're being a little harsh. Nothing wrong with learning the correct terminology for the hobby. Call it what you want. Geez, when is explaining mustang lingo a crime?

Ahh maybe I am. Ford called em 2+2s and Sportsroofs and the general public immeduately started calling them fastbacks and have ever since.

If you call a Mustang supplier and ask for a body specific part, they will immediately ask you if it is a coupe or fastback. These are the guys who do it every day and they just know that is what they are called these days.

I don't think it is fair to call everybody who calls them fastbacks "mis-informed". Everybody in the industry does it, and they aren't stupid. Same with some very knowledgable people in this site. You can choose to communicate, or you can choose to be technically correct.

Pak stated that it was a "very important fact" and that "people were mis-informed". That hit me the wrong way, I guess.

I reserve the right to be crabby on a 24/7 basis, at least until the ward balances my meds. ;)

Ahh, I think I see. I don't think Pak was calling anyone stupid. I didn't take it that way and I don't think anyone else took it that way either. I believe when he said "mis-informed" he was referring to the fact that many call them fastbacks but the proper term is sportsroof hence they were unaware of the proper term so they were mis-informed. Anyhow, that's the way I see it.

Time to move on folks, nothing to see here.

I reserve the right to be crabby on a 24/7 basis, at least until the ward balances my meds.
I respect your right.

OK OK, I concede my point and appologize again for any misunderstandings to my intention, didn't mean to be dramatic. I will be watching you though Max, and the next time I see someone reply to a "How many HP does my 65 V6 have" post with the innevitable and typical "First of all it's an I6" response, I fully except you to jump in and play the Petty Police so I know this was all truly about splitting hairs and not just about me. ;) :D :p :cheers: (j/k)

Pakrat said:
So as said before, from now on when kids call it a V6 because that's what they understand a six to be we should let it go right? I mean V is just a term after all right? A six is a six afterall.

Laziness is not an excuse for incorrectness. A V6 is different from a straight six. If someone says their car has a V6 to me it means that it has a cylinder block cast in a "V" configuration with three cylinders on each side. A straight six has all the cylinders in a row. No Mustang had a V6 from the factory until 1974.

Too many people have a habit of giving out incorrect information then when someone corrects them they say "whatever" and just go on and don't learn. History and terminology are important. It needs to be preserved, and those beginning in the hobby need to realize this and learn from the "elders" who just might possibly know some things the younger people need to get into their heads.

Pakrat said:
OK OK, I concede my point and appologize again for any misunderstandings to my intention, didn't mean to be dramatic. I will be watching you though Max, and the next time I see someone reply to a "How many HP does my 65 V6 have" post with the innevitable and typical "First of all it's an I6" response, I fully except you to jump in and play the Petty Police so I know this was all truly about splitting hairs and not just about me. ;) :D :p :cheers: (j/k)

LOL, you will no doubt catch me in something!! It's all good. :D

I don't really see the v-6 vs I-6 comparison as valid. I categorize mechanical characteristics differently than marketing department catchphrases. But that might be just me.