A/M rear sway bar popping noise

jjanik191

Apr 25, 2018
Connecticut
The rear a/m sway bar (brand unknown) on my ‘03 GT 5 spd installed by the previous owner appears to not be a good fit as it currently sits bolted to the factory lower control arms. Also, when it makes the turn to run across to the other side, it is completely resting on the lower control arms on both sides as indicated by the yellow arrow in the pic. From a stop and start, I am getting a popping /tinking metal on metal noise, as well as sporadically when turning left or right at different times and speeds. I can also replicate the sound when rolling say 20-30 mph, letting off the gas, then accelerating. It’s just not as prominent audibly compared to a dead stop and start. I replaced the u-joints, and everything seems cool with the differential at all speeds, axles, brakes etc. I’ve put eyes/hands on every suspension part I can and nothing appears loose or leaky. Just wondering if the a/m sway bar could be the culprit when everything is shifting under load causing the pop/tink sound??

Attachments

• 2FB6ECC8-9B40-4748-B2B6-5E15D2AD876C.jpeg
    2FB6ECC8-9B40-4748-B2B6-5E15D2AD876C.jpeg
    263.4 KB · Views: 138
  • Sponsors (?)

Just wondering. How many bolts is holding the sway bay to the control arm? One or two?

Are they tight?

If there's just one I suspect that is your problem.
Thanks for the response there are two bolts holding it on on either side but if you look at the picture the area where it bolts up inside the control arm doesn’t even sit in their straight for one. But the fact that it’s actually touching the control arm at the bend 100% of the time even while standing still is making me think it’s the culprit