A terrible squeal

Therian

The Highlander
Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
Waterloo, Ontario
Hey guys...I haven't been around for a while, my parents drove my car into a fence post last summer and the car has sat since then

anyway,

Today I went to start her up once more and upon a couple sputters it started nicely and then....the power steering pump (I assume) started making a horrible squealing noise. My buddy said that at one point the belt wasn't even moving and that it was getting hung up on the power steering pulley.

so...is this a bearing problem? a seized pulley? The resevoir is full so that's definitely not the problem

Nice to be back...wish me luck on reviving the car (long way to go)

• Sponsors (?)

cut the belt...(needed a new one anyway)

Power steering pulley moves, takes a bit of effort, but not much...so upon checking the rest of the pulleys, all seemed well except for the smog pump pulley (furthest down on left side...I believe this is the smog pump?) - it wouldn't move at all. I assume that it's supposed to spin freely like the others?

95Vert said:
Buy an 89.5 belt and bypass to see if that solves the problem.

I figure if the smog pump is seized then that pretty much narrows down my problem...

Bill...thanks for your help. As much as I would love to eliminate/bypass the smog pump and run an o/r pipe, Ontario is pretty strict on e-testing. plus I already have a decent amount of $$ sunk into my H-pipe and I wouldn't want to clog it up...

is there any way to unseize the pump? or am I going to have to find/buy a new one?

i'm sure you can buy a new one but there expensive a used one might be alot cheaper if you want to go that route but they should make a rebuild kit i'll have to do some research to try to locate a rebuild kit or someone else may ring in with some offers or info...

bill302 said:
i'm sure you can buy a new one but there expensive a used one might be alot cheaper if you want to go that route but they should make a rebuild kit i'll have to do some research to try to locate a rebuild kit or someone else may ring in with some offers or info...

thanks, I appreciate it :nice:

heres another reman. pump
http://www.partsamerica.com/Product...set=A&searchfor=Smog+Pump+(Air+Pollution+Pump)

i don't know who will or will not ship to canada but it looks like alot of autoparts stores carry smog pumps in stock or can order one for you so you might want to check with some local autoparts stores and keep me posted. pm me when you get it fixed and let me know what you did for future references..... thanksbill302

can,t find any rebuild kits but the best price so far is autozone http://autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=C001&UserAction=loadPage

and they specify canada customers to call 1-800-288-6966

So I get out to my car today...take the CAI off, MAF, Alternator...take the one bolt out of the smog pump from underneath the car and then start working on the one pointing at the rad...bolt came out an inch in about half an hour. I'm not even kidding. ****ing thing must have stripped itself somehow...it was a huge bitch just to even get it to move in the first place....

what the hell do I do now? it's sitting there...about an inch and a half out...I can't even see the start of the threads on the bolt. if I go at it with the socket, the bastard just turns and doesn't move.

Yikes... I know it was a pita to get mine loose... maybe hose it down with some wd40 liquid wrench pb blaster... whatever your choice is... see if that does the trick.

If you want mine its yours, just hook it up with shipping cost.

check and see if you can see the backside of the bolt and see if theres a nut on it.if there is not a nut on the backside you will have to use a pry bar and put pressure on the backside of the bolt head prying outward toward the radiator with the pry bar and turn bolt at the same time you may need someone else to hold prybar and apply pressure while you turn bolt....goodluck and repost results....a v notched prybar works the best..

Nagash01WS6 said:
Yikes... I know it was a pita to get mine loose... maybe hose it down with some wd40 liquid wrench pb blaster... whatever your choice is... see if that does the trick.

If you want mine its yours, just hook it up with shipping cost.

That might be a plan...I'll let you know once I get mine out and take a look to see if it can be repaired or not.

Bill: definitely no nut on the back...and the backside of the bolt has already disappeared into the thread hole. I suppose I could see if it would go back in...I'll get a torch out there tomorrow as per swarz's advice and have at it again...what a PITA.

I just want to take a damned sledgehammer to the smog pump and break the bolt off...sigh