A Unique Question - What's the LOWEST RPM You Can Shift At Safely?

OBleedingMe

Apr 14, 2004
I have a manual '05 Mustang GT.

I was just looking for a few opinions on this question - what's the lowest RPM you start out in a gear?

For instance, say you're shifting into third... what's the lowest RPM before you start to burn the clutch/lug the engine? My father says never to go below 1500, but I think 1200 is all right for this car. What do you guys think? 1500? 1200? Even 1000, maybe?

• Sponsors (?)

I always shifted between 2k and 2.5k when just cruising. I assume you're trying to get better gas milage. If you shift below 1.5k, you'll lose gas milage b/c your car is going to have to work harder.

If it goes (as opposed to stalling) it is safe. These motors have really good low-end torque so you really don't need to run the RPM up in city driving (it is fun though).

You can shift at 2000 all day and never have a problem.

OBleedingMe said:
I have a manual '05 Mustang GT.

I was just looking for a few opinions on this question - what's the lowest RPM you start out in a gear?

For instance, say you're shifting into third... what's the lowest RPM before you start to burn the clutch/lug the engine? My father says never to go below 1500, but I think 1200 is all right for this car. What do you guys think? 1500? 1200? Even 1000, maybe?

Zero!

I know this isn't the same thing, but my A4 Z28 will often times loaf around on flat ground at 40 MPH at 1,100 RPM without leaving overdrive.

On level ground, that big V8 (and the computer that controls the auto tranny) doesn't seem to mind running that slowly at 40 MPH.

vacooley said:
If it goes (as opposed to stalling) it is safe. These motors have really good low-end torque so you really don't need to run the RPM up in city driving (it is fun though).

You can shift at 2000 all day and never have a problem.
The car will not stall if its rolling....I have proof of this.

Once when I first got my car I had just changed lanes behind someone and had to stop really really fast and I forgot to push the clutch in and I left it in 4th gear. Well I came to a complete stop and it had not stalled...the engine was just surging and the check engine light was on :shrug:

Hah no permanent damage though...the check engine light went right off when I put the clutch in.

the answer to your question can be answered by the following mathematical formula. First you need the ID # of your car. Multiply this by ten, then subtract the amount of time in that particular gear. Simplified, the answer is:

ID*10-t

****This was meant as a joke, please do not take offense :D