A9L

• Sponsors (?)

Call around or ask local mechanics who knows how to diagnose. And then fix capacitors. I had a guy work on my car and he knew enough to check my computer. Replaced 3 capacitors thats all I know. You can find them online rebuilt on Google.

Reactions: 1 user
Everyone out of stock or something? Put out a ISO on facebook or Classifieds here. Someone's got one. Lots of people doing engine swaps or upgrading to a standalone. There is always MPS Auto Salvage. I am sure they have one. If that fails, there is a facebook group called "Coyote Swapped Foxbodies" you can join. Guarantee someone on there has an A9L they pulled from their car there. There's always a way to hustle one.

Kurt

Reactions: 2 users
Call around or ask local mechanics who knows how to diagnose. And then fix capacitors. I had a guy work on my car and he knew enough to check my computer. Replaced 3 capacitors thats all I know. You can find them online rebuilt on Google.
My mechanic said thus is what it is. He cannot find one and neither can I. This is my only car so I cannot send it off. I've also call one that is local who works on them, and he doesn't do 92

Kinda pricey
The ebay link also shows a place that will repair yours.
Can't wait?
Can't help ya.

Are you on Facebook? If so, join some of the Mustang parts trader groups. You'll be able to easily find an A9L for sale, but you'll pay $200-300 for it, and take the risk of buying 30 year old electronics.

Ebay also has a good number of them, plus ECU rebuilders. However, you take the same risk of buying old 1980's tech electronics.

The capacitors usually fail on these, or the pin 46 trace burns up. Both are easily repairable so do not junk your computer if you procure another one. I would investigate a ECU rebuild service though.

You could pop the cover and take a peek at the capacitors. If they have failed, they can be picked up for a buck or two and then you just need to find someone to solder them in.

The supply has dried up for these due to lack of good cores. Good A9L's were worth more than the core charge sometimes and they have been hoarded. No cores, means no more rebuilt units. That drives the price up, so people who hoard them sell them one at a time for inflated prices.

This guy always has them. If you bid on his auctions of one you will generally get it cheaper than his bin. He may also give you credit for your old one or even repair it. His number id on his pic. i think.

• Useful
I would like to see a list of codes or troubleshooting steps that point to the EEC as the issue. :shrug:

Although it does happen, it's rather uncommon for an A9L to partially work. If there are specific symptoms that point to the EEC as being at fault, those symptoms might make the repair of the unit a pretty simple affair.

@jrichker

I would like to see a list of codes or troubleshooting steps that point to the EEC as the issue. :shrug:

Although it does happen, it's rather uncommon for an A9L to partially work. If there are specific symptoms that point to the EEC as being at fault, those symptoms might make the repair of the unit a pretty simple affair.

@jrichker
it's likley the tech doesnt know how to trouble shoot these cars and just got it out of his way by saying it needs an ecu. most new techs would probably not wanna touch our cars. I'm curious to hear what the issue is as well.

it's likley the tech doesnt know how to trouble shoot these cars and just got it out of his way by saying it needs an ecu. most new techs would probably not wanna touch our cars. I'm curious to hear what the issue is as well.

We have def seen this a few times over the years.

Isn't that how troubleshooting is done these days?

Rather than open up that ECU or trans and spend hours diagnosing and repairing, easier to just say "Yup, you need a new trans, that will be $4500 installed" and hand the bill to the customer.

That 2-3 hours tracing down a burnt cap would better be used doing bread and butter brake jobs and easy stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Isn't that how troubleshooting is done these days?

Rather than open up that ECU or trans and spend hours diagnosing and repairing, easier to just say "Yup, you need a new trans, that will be $4500 installed" and hand the bill to the customer.

That 2-3 hours tracing down a burnt cap would better be used doing bread and butter brake jobs and easy stuff.
Right! I'll bet the op's issues are something we have all dealt with and been admittedly frustrated by and hes jut being blown off because the guy cant figure out a surging idle or my car just dies once hot problem...

@Oliepalm

If you do come to the conclusion you need a ECU, I have an A3M (93 Mass Air 5 Speed ECU, comparable to the A9L) that I will sell for a good price. Was working fine when I pulled it in October 2019. It did have a chip installed on it so the J9 port cover is removed.

I had a mechanic put my distributor on backwards and change wires on the cap. The same guy told me my car was a four cylinder because of the four lugs. The guy did not put the vacuum line on under the intake then told me I had a cam because of the way it ran. The large vac line was off. He did not know anything about the fox yet argued with me that he was right. I go to a Mustang shop now thats who opened my computer box, and knew what burns up. I see your from S.C. ask around for a Mustang shop there is one somewhere.

I had a mechanic put my distributor on backwards and change wires on the cap. The same guy told me my car was a four cylinder because of the four lugs. The guy did not put the vacuum line on under the intake then told me I had a cam because of the way it ran. The large vac line was off. He did not know anything about the fox yet argued with me that he was right. I go to a Mustang shop now thats who opened my computer box, and knew what burns up. I see your from S.C. ask around for a Mustang shop there is one somewhere.
Yes I'm in SC and go to a mustang shop. All he can come up with is newer models. That's why I'm trying.

@Oliepalm

If you do come to the conclusion you need a ECU, I have an A3M (93 Mass Air 5 Speed ECU, comparable to the A9L) that I will sell for a good price. Was working fine when I pulled it in October 2019. It did have a chip installed on it so the J9 port cover is removed.

Just to add to that, the J9 port cover not being there is a non issue. You can just tape over that to keep dust from getting in.

Kurt

You wanna fix it or confirm the ecu is bad do this checklist: