Paint and Body About To Get The Gt Freshened Up A Little (now With Some Pics)

IIGood

Founding Member
Aug 1, 1998
Churchton, MD
To begin...for the past couple of years, the hood, roof, and front bumper of my '03 GT have been having some issues with the paint. About 2 years ago I first noticed a small strip of paint becoming dull on the roof just above the windshield and rear window. The front bumper has had the clearcoat "separate" and bubble up off the paint. The dulled spot on the roof grew and also started showing up on the hood. It worsened so I finally took it to the body shop back in the fall to see what they could do...they had painted the car back in 2009 so they said that they'd take care of it. They determined the clearcoat had failed. The owner said he'd set something up "in a few weeks" after that visit.

A few weeks became months, and it kinda fell off my radar. I had other things going on and never followed up. Lately I've been gearing up to go back by the shop and ask about getting it done but I wanted to have a few other items addressed first.

Today while I was out at lunch, the shop calls me and asked if I could bring it on the 13th so they could take care of the work. I said yes without hesitation. Now I'm getting jazzed up for this. I'm finally gonna get that ugly dull paint taken care of and the car will be practically back to new again. Woo hoo!

Edit: added info on the front bumper

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Here we go...might be a little hard to see it from the photos. But all that hazing above the windshield and rear window...yeah, that's how it actually is. No weird lighting effect or anything...that's just down to the color coating. Buh-bye clear.

Roof:

Kd0lo9KotyqUhg13_QPWsZtPrQjX3oHqgCLCr_len1KkWtyyuPRVI3anchDO0FLP0hp-u_TnqCz-vE-Y3w=w1560-h878-no.jpg

Hood (off a '99 Cobra):

DGFS9X3vmEC40hqPTO3f3jeDq79hI0DVwyjASs2eM9m25mE8Q143jFmOMY8lUxDbTDN70Ifl9IEe8_M8Wg=w1560-h878-no.jpg

Front bumper:

k7XGObkp8dpERhAAGEoAQpTBxnn-4TaUNLhOAP7qzFT9FzuTRlRBnvKSv47nXD4dxbM4I6eWnhb5yyAr5w=w1560-h878-no.jpg

I checked in with the shop late last week; they said the paint rep hadn't been out yet and stated they may end up having to repaint the whole car with as much failure they're seeing on it.

THAT would be simply awesome. I'm grateful for whatever they do...if it's just the front end and roof, that would make me very happy. Anything beyond that is icing on the cake.

The only downside is that it may not be done for another month or so. I totally understand though.

Quick little update...though I didn't grab any pictures this time. On Monday, they'll have had the car 4 weeks.

I drove by the shop late last week and saw the car out on their lot and it looked like they still hadn't started on it. I did drive by during business hours but didn't stop in...I know they always put the cars away in the shop at night. I went by the shop just now on my lunch break and the owner said that the rep from PPG did come out and has authorized the refinish. So now they've got it in the shop and disassembled and it should be going to paint in the next 2 weeks. I asked if they could get me a quote on taking a dent out of the passenger quarter panel a) if that panel is getting refinished and b) if it's not too late.

Now that progress is underway, I'm really gonna start getting anxious here! Can't wait!

Reactions: 1 users
Quick little update...though I didn't grab any pictures this time. On Monday, they'll have had the car 4 weeks.

I drove by the shop late last week and saw the car out on their lot and it looked like they still hadn't started on it. I did drive by during business hours but didn't stop in...I know they always put the cars away in the shop at night. I went by the shop just now on my lunch break and the owner said that the rep from PPG did come out and has authorized the refinish. So now they've got it in the shop and disassembled and it should be going to paint in the next 2 weeks. I asked if they could get me a quote on taking a dent out of the passenger quarter panel a) if that panel is getting refinished and b) if it's not too late.

Now that progress is underway, I'm really gonna start getting anxious here! Can't wait!

I'd unload on them for sandbagging since they won't be making money. I'd be willing to bet they keep pushing your car aside since it's not a paying job. If anything, they should fix that dent for free since it took them a month. If they don't wanna do it, I'd ping PPG.

Sorry, but that's bad customer service in my mind. They should have fixed it immediately and charged PPG instead of making you wait.

Swung by the shop on my lunch break and actually got to see it...

lz-w9iVjJeeQ2VfMhGaLGqcMzThAMl2ORyHjPmlsE1a3lWphF1frpvrgsfzRAvuFmrU8MIctaMs1Ah6-vw=w1637-h920-no.jpg

uC4QJPs5wqVCuz2dW5cTM79iQLz0HH_9H0DzqBB3jtsemvJCECpAJDZ5CNNP0NMsyWsto_mGte7eZhMhsA=w1637-h920-no.jpg

Looks like they've already taken care of the dent on the passenger quarter and they said there were a couple other dings on the driver's side that they've taken care of. It should be going into paint late this week.

Reactions: 1 users
Nice that their standing by their work. I had mine painted probably around 2012 with HOK but they used this "great new clear" I think OMNI or something like that. It didn't fade like that but about 3 years after the new paint job my 2 yr old kid did some drawing down both sides of my car with a rock. That lead to having it repaired which actually could have just been spraying a few panels. When they taped off the good parts, the tape pulled the clear right off the car in sheets! The clear never fully adhered to the paint! Then it became a complete re spray, and they noticed even the clear in the jambs was beginning to bubble and peel. So it really became a full re spray jambs and all.

They did a great job with it, but it cost me another $3800 in the end, after previously spending $3k with a different shop only 3 years before. Kept the HOK sparkle black but went with PPG clear this time.

Just so I don't get the worthless w/o pics image...
Resized_20160910_154403.jpeg
Resized_20160910_154417.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Nice that their standing by their work. I had mine painted probably around 2012 with HOK but they used this "great new clear" I think OMNI or something like that. It didn't fade like that but about 3 years after the new paint job my 2 yr old kid did some drawing down both sides of my car with a rock. That lead to having it repaired which actually could have just been spraying a few panels. When they taped off the good parts, the tape pulled the clear right off the car in sheets! The clear never fully adhered to the paint! Then it became a complete re spray, and they noticed even the clear in the jambs was beginning to bubble and peel. So it really became a full re spray jambs and all.

They did a great job with it, but it cost me another $3800 in the end, after previously spending $3k with a different shop only 3 years before. Kept the HOK sparkle black but went with PPG clear this time.

Just so I don't get the worthless w/o pics image...
Resized_20160910_154403.jpeg
Resized_20160910_154417.jpeg

Lookin' good!

That's crazy that the clear didn't adhere to the paint...holy cow. I certainly wouldn't be happy.

The shop that's doing mine said that back when they last painted in (2009), they were using another paint vendor. I can't remember the name but the shop owner also said that it was the same vendor that a lot of the European manufacturers used for their paint (BMW, Audi, etc). The shop now uses PPG. At one point, years ago, they were using DuPont or BASF...I remember that from taking my '77 in for some work.

PPG is the good stuff. You always want to use the best paint possible if you want lasting results. It's great that your shop is fixing their work, are they charging you anything for it?

Not that I'm aware of. They said they'd cover it under their lifetime ownership guarantee. So since they painted it in 2009 and I still own it...shouldn't cost me anything.