ABS Control module replacement

tiocareca

May 18, 2021
CHICAGO
I am at my end !!

2001 Mustang GT, changed pads and rotors w/o complications, less the stuck rotors. Immediately after driving I smell brake burning but it continued to the point I stopped and the car would down shift in order to continue. Checked the calipers, pads rotors all good. I even removed callipers and pushed the pistons in with no problem.

My problem is the front wheels won't turn. I took to Firestone and they replaced MC, Hydroboost, brake lines, calipers to no avail. ... the only thing left is the ABS Control Unit, Problem is no one sells them and they (Firestone) can get a rebuilt one for 1K. It has traction control

I have searched high and low and really have not found anyone who experienced the same thing. CAn they just go out just like that??? Any help would be greatly appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

Sometimes the symptom you are describing could be caused by a blocked/pinched brake line. Fluid can get into the calipers but not out.

CAn they just go out just like that???
The "book" on ABS says that when doing brake work that old brake fluid is not supposed to be forced backwards through the ABS module. What this means is open the caliper bleeder valve when compressing the pistons so that the old fluid comes out the bleeder instead of being forced backwards through the ABS module. Did you open the caliper bleed screw when compressing the pistons?

When the bleeder screw is opened and the brakes are bleed, does the fluid flow freely?

At anytime during the process did you allow the master cylinder to draw air? If so it will be necessary to re-bleed the entire system.

Problem is no one sells them
Try car-part.com to search salvage yards in your area.

WMBURNS,

I did not open the bleeder screws and evidently forced the fluid back through the ABS module. I never done this before, I have always just slowly pushed the pistons back in . The MC did not draw air.

Firestone has determined it to be the whole ABS module. They have replaced everything ( MC, Hydroboost, changed brake lines and even exchanged the calibers ) to no avail. $900 for a rebuilt one with a year's warranty.

My problem is the car is in Florida and I am in Chicago.

I wish the youtube video mentioned to open the bleeder screws....no one did that in the videos.

Could the wheel sensor for the ABS mess it up?

TY

@wmburns So Firestone determined it to be the ABS module since they replaced every other part to no avail. This "part swapping" concerns me with their skillset level. I did not open the bleeder screw when I pushed the pistons back in. I reviewed YouTube videos prior and NONE mentioned this. I have never done this prior on any car I changed the brakes on. I must have messed up the module good. I have never heard of this and could not find anyone else who experienced the same problem after just changing the brakes. This leads me to believe it is not the case.

My problem is the car is in South Florida and I am in Chicago so I am captive.