Brakes ABS Module Question/Info

rabidscoobie

10 Year Member
Jun 21, 2007
College Station,TX
Anyone know if an ABS control module from a 1998 GT will work on a 2004 Mach?
I can get it cheap but cant find much info if it will work or not. Im not concerned if my traction control will work all that much but just want my ABS functional again.

I know mine is bad since diag tool will not communicate with the abs module and normally it just needs replaced.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Without even researching it for a moment I can / should say no
Just about everything will be different IMO
Call a junkyard to be sure
Tell them you are looking for one off a 2004 and want to know which other years will fit
Sure, could be the same for a year or two but 6 years is a no go IMO

Without even researching it for a moment I can / should say no
Just about everything will be different IMO
Call a junkyard to be sure
Tell them you are looking for one off a 2004 and want to know which other years will fit
Sure, could be the same for a year or two but 6 years is a no go IMO

I didnt figure they would.
I almost bought it, was only $25 from local pull a part.
I finally found one on an online salvage for $55 off a 31k mile 02 GT. Had no choice but salvage, looked for 2 weeks online and parts store for a new or rebuilt...no one has them.

Wonderful
Don't get discouraged when bleeding the system after replacing the HCU
Try gravity bleeding it first until you get fluid out all of the wheels without pumping
If you get no fluid with gravity, push the pedal slowly to about 1/2 way and lock it there with a brake pedal depressor or a long stick
That can help when doing a gravity bleed procedure.
There is another trick that I will divulge if you need later
It requires you to ruin a plastic MC cap with a drill bit and pressure bleed it that way
Now you're thinking.
Have fun

Wonderful
Don't get discouraged when bleeding the system after replacing the HCU
Try gravity bleeding it first until you get fluid out all of the wheels without pumping
If you get no fluid with gravity, push the pedal slowly to about 1/2 way and lock it there with a brake pedal depressor or a long stick
That can help when doing a gravity bleed procedure.
There is another trick that I will divulge if you need later
It requires you to ruin a plastic MC cap with a drill bit and pressure bleed it that way
Now you're thinking.
Have fun
Thanks for the info. Im also replacing the brake res when I do this. Mine currently cant even see thru to check level. Found the res at local pull a part while looking for hydro. Looks brand new and was only $3...lol.
Is bleeding after the hydro change not the same as bleeding brake?

I assumed it would be but I havent check the Ford tech service manual yet as Im waiting on the hydro.

The 98 ABS module lacks the traction control function, so it likely won't work properly.

The Bleed procedure is the same, but there is a ABS bleed cycle function for these cars. You can activate it using Forscan. I've had good luck bleeding the brakes on these cars without using it, but my current '00 had a soft pedal no matter what until I used the ABS bleed program on Forscan. It would cycle the pump while bleeding. After that I had a solid pedal.

But like i said, i have done it the old fashioned way on a few SN95's and got a nice firm pedal like that.

The 98 ABS module lacks the traction control function, so it likely won't work properly.

The Bleed procedure is the same, but there is a ABS bleed cycle function for these cars. You can activate it using Forscan. I've had good luck bleeding the brakes on these cars without using it, but my current '00 had a soft pedal no matter what until I used the ABS bleed program on Forscan. It would cycle the pump while bleeding. After that I had a solid pedal.

But like i said, i have done it the old fashioned way on a few SN95's and got a nice firm pedal like that.
Thanks for that info.
Yes I use Forscan and have a fairly decent scan tool that has all those functions. Forscan saved me about $250 recently with the PCM went bad on the wifes car. Was able to get the keys programmed to the new PCM.

As for abs I dont care about traction control functioning, only other car I ever had with TC was my 01 GT I got new and even then never used it. All I want is ABS working again.

Also I just read my 2nd reply and got it confused with the leaking hydroboost Im replacing also. Thats what I couldnt find....lol.

This car has been kicking my butt over the last month. Just finished clutch install today. Then did bushings,rear control arms,new door hinges and have an Eaton Truetrac diff and gears sitting here waiting to go in after I get the hydro boost swapped.