Ac Pump Replacement Parts Question

Rusty67

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 3, 2002
Seattle area, WA
Hey guys, I have an 03 Mach 1. The AC quit working on me a while back. I could hear the compressor cycling on/off so I took it to a local shop for an AC diag since I don't have AC manifold gauges and what not. They told me I was low on refrigerant and did a die test. Said my compressor is leaking and needs to be changed out. I'm getting a parts list together for what I should change out. So far I've got the compressor itself, the receiver drier/accumulator and the orifice tube. It looks like one of the lines coming off the condenser has some kind of expansion chamber or filter built into the line. I'm wondering if I should replace that line as well of if that isn't really a wear item unless it leaks? Also, should I get an o-ring kit and replace the o-rings on anything I'm leaving in while I'm at it? I noticed there are different color o-rings and I'm wondering what the difference is?

Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Just FYI ....most ac compressor seals can be replaced. The one for your car is about 25 bucks.

We live in an age where everyone wants to replace instead of fix. The mechanic gets an easy job and the customers foot the bill.

You probably won't find a mechanic willing to change the seal....but its not a hard job. It even comes with a tool to slide it on with damaging the new seal.

Its like ac compressor clutches. They are completely serviceable without evacuating the ac system.

Green orings are typical r134a orings. They do have orings for ac in black, too. Brown is usually for fuel systems.

I believe the line you're talking about is the ac liquid line. You should replace that line....I'm not 100% sure but I think that's the line that had the orifice tube in it.

Thanks man but unfortunately I don't have the time to rebuild the pump. This is a time is money scenario because next weekend is my last weekend in my house as I'm moving out at the end of the month. I can get a brand new motorcraft compressor for 200, no core exchange. If it was just the clutch, I'd swap that out instead of replacing. If I rebuilt the pump and then leaked the refrigerant I'd be about 150 bux or so because that's what it will cost me to have them fill it so I feel like this time I'm better off just buying the new compressor and swapping it in.

The hose I'm talking about is Motorcraft part YF2854. It is called the Discharge Line (High Pressure - Compressor to Condenser). It looks like the Liquid Line (Condenser to Evaporator) is indeed what contains the orifice tube so if I replace that line I'm good on that. I'm just wondering what that large chamber in the discharge line is and if I should service that line as well?

Consider performing an inspection of the compressor clutch and pressure plate. There will never be an easier time to service the clutch while the compressor is off of the car.

The large chamber is to buffer compressor surges. It does not need service.

Reactions: 1 user
Consider performing an inspection of the compressor clutch and pressure plate. There will never be an easier time to service the clutch while the compressor is off of the car.

The large chamber is to buffer compressor surges. It does not need service.
That thing used to be called, in "shade tree terms ", an ac muffler.

I can understand with moving under way. That's the good thing about full replacement. Time is money....and you're right about if its screwed up.

Edit; I was on a rebuild kick yesterday. I just get tired of shops trying to get over on people.

Hey wmburns and 90sickfox, thanks for the help on this one. I'm putting the order in on the parts now so they can get here in time for me to take care of it this coming weekend.

The new compressor comes with a brand new clutch as well so I don't have to worry about swapping it over but that is most definitely a great tip. I'll keep the old compressor around in case I ever need another one (My dad has an 01 Bullitt back home). I always appreciate advice when it comes to rebuilding vs buying new or reman parts, normally I'm all about it.

Thanks again guys!