Accufab Plenum/75mm TB arrived. Some Q's before the install?

Got my accufab 75mm and plenum today. Opened the box and found that they have provided a new pcv tube with it. The question is, which one do I use for my 03 gt? There's a big one and a small one. They also said to apply some "loc-tite" on the end if the tube. Could RTV sealant be the substitute for the loc tite?

And also, the tb and plenum all came with new gaskets. Do I want to reuse the stock ones? Or the ones they've provided? The reason is because when I install my Long tube headers, stock gaskets seems to be the best ones. I was just wonder if this is the case as well.

Any tips for the install would be very helpful :)

• Sponsors (?)

NasaGT said:
My Accufab plenum arrived last week. TB to be purchased next month.

Have any of you guys ported your plenum? Mine has some casting marks and is a little rough in spots.

Mine didn't need any cleanup, but if yours has some casting marks, I'd just smooth them out, it doens't need any porting.

Matt

CottonBurnerz said:
Got my accufab 75mm and plenum today. Opened the box and found that they have provided a new pcv tube with it. The question is, which one do I use for my 03 gt? There's a big one and a small one. They also said to apply some "loc-tite" on the end if the tube. Could RTV sealant be the substitute for the loc tite?

My 02 required the "fat" tube, yours probably does too. If I were you, I'd make a quick trip to the local parts store and pick-up a tube of Loctite. RTV might damage the O2 sensors...

And also, the tb and plenum all came with new gaskets. Do I want to reuse the stock ones? Or the ones they've provided? The reason is because when I install my Long tube headers, stock gaskets seems to be the best ones. I was just wonder if this is the case as well.

I replaced the EGR and IAC gaskets with the ones provided and have had no trouble. Mine came from AF with the 70mm TB already attached so I didn't have to replace that gasket (though I would have if they came separately.) It's cheap insurance if you've already got the new gaskets right there.

Any tips for the install would be very helpful :)

Before removing the TPS from the old TB, I measured the resistance setting (rather than trying to back probe to get the voltage while still on the car) and duplicated that setting when tightening up the TPS to the new TB.

Other than that, it's a pretty simple bolt-on.

03trubluGT said:
Success, If you want to come down to Ft. Worth on Sunday, I can help you with it. I'll be at work, but I can help anyway....

Matt

Sunday is my b-day :D I will try to see if I can do it by myself first. If things are looking bad. Or I messed up the install somehow. I might be able to make it to ft. worth in the afternoon. I installed LT headers and all the suspension parts by myself afterall :)

Lastly

trinity_gt said:
Before removing the TPS from the old TB, I measured the resistance setting (rather than trying to back probe to get the voltage while still on the car) and duplicated that setting when tightening up the TPS to the new TB.

I don't quite get that message nor I don't think i have the tool to do that. Is that necessary?

The TBS requires a certain voltage. You adjust the voltage by loosing the tbs screws and slightly move it. Don't quote me, but I think at idle voltage is set at .8. If it's out of range you'll throw a code. Pretty simply but you'll need a volt meter. As the previous post discussed checking it before is a good idea.

Loosen everything up first before you unbolt the stock upper intake and remove the upper intake and TB as one unit. Then install the new TB and upper intake as one unit, it’ll be easier to un-mount and mount things this way. Use the new gaskets and save the old ones. Take a picture before hand if you need to so you’re sure to hook everything back up like it’s supposed to be.

In 01 ford switched to a larger PCV fitting so use the large tube with loc-tite.

As for the TPS get a volt meter, nothing fancy and find out what the voltage is before you start removing parts. After you move the TPS to the new TB set it to the same voltage before you start the car.

My ford TB came with a new TPS and was preset at 1.01volts. This was to high causing my car to idle around 1200rpms until I came to a complete stop while running the AC. After setting the voltage down to .98volts the car idles like it should AC on or not without a hanging idle.

Also not sure how Accufab differs from C&L but there is a vacuum line coming off the back of the plenum and my throttle cable rubbed against this line causing a potential hanging idle problem. I solved this by place enough flat washers between the plenum and throttle linkage bracket to raise the linkage assembly enough so the throttle cable no longer made contact with the vacuum line.

If you installed LT headers yourself this will be a breeze. Good luck and enjoy the new setup!

-Cale

stang976 said:
i am still trying to find the AF plenum/TB for $400 shippped. anybody know if/where that is possible?
rpmoutlet i ordered mine with a 85mm mas and a mac cold air accufab t/body and plenium for 579 polished the have the same thing in cnl for 525 and that includes the mas as well.

281Ponies said:
Loosen everything up first before you unbolt the stock upper intake and remove the upper intake and TB as one unit. Then install the new TB and upper intake as one unit, it’ll be easier to un-mount and mount things this way. Use the new gaskets and save the old ones. Take a picture before hand if you need to so you’re sure to hook everything back up like it’s supposed to be.

In 01 ford switched to a larger PCV fitting so use the large tube with loc-tite.

As for the TPS get a volt meter, nothing fancy and find out what the voltage is before you start removing parts. After you move the TPS to the new TB set it to the same voltage before you start the car.

My ford TB came with a new TPS and was preset at 1.01volts. This was to high causing my car to idle around 1200rpms until I came to a complete stop while running the AC. After setting the voltage down to .98volts the car idles like it should AC on or not without a hanging idle.

Also not sure how Accufab differs from C&L but there is a vacuum line coming off the back of the plenum and my throttle cable rubbed against this line causing a potential hanging idle problem. I solved this by place enough flat washers between the plenum and throttle linkage bracket to raise the linkage assembly enough so the throttle cable no longer made contact with the vacuum line.

If you installed LT headers yourself this will be a breeze. Good luck and enjoy the new setup!

-Cale
did you notice after the install your idle took longer to come down mine is taking about 10 sec to idle all the way down to 800rpm? how do you adjust the tps? thanks also what voltage are you seeing at w.o.t ?

K i've just read the paper that came with the TB and it said the Idle speed control can be adjust by the throttle position sensor (TPS). DO NOT adjust any screw on the TB. It is pre-set at the factory..

By "screw" They mean the TPS screw right? it's kind of like a flat metal piece thing that connect to the TPS sensor.

With that said, it's already pre-set at the factory setting. Should I still need to get the voltage from it just to be sure?

I looked at some voltage meter and there's a lot of them. I'm pretty much a newbie in the electrical field. There's a positive and negative needle on for some meter. Where do I put those to check the voltage? When doing this, the car should be off right?

K i've just read the paper that came with the TB and it said the Idle speed control can be adjust by the throttle position sensor (TPS). DO NOT adjust any screw on the TB. It is pre-set at the factory..

By "screw" They mean the TPS screw right? it's kind of like a flat metal piece thing that connect to the TPS sensor?

No, you'd actually loosen the 2 screws that hold the TPS and rotate the TPS. It's a tiny amount that it can be adjusted. I just screwed mine on and had no issues at all.

With that said, it's already pre-set at the factory setting. Should I still need to get the voltage from it just to be sure?
Not necessary.

Use the big PCV pipe, and honestly I'd recommend not useing loc-tite or anything if yours is as tight as mine was - I used a block of wood and a hammer to get mine in - it's ain't going nowhere!

Don't forget to disconnect the battery while doing all this and expect about a week until the idle settles down completely (It may like to hang when coming to a stop and this will subside somewhat after a week but may not completely go away ever)
Take your time and clean things up as you go. Blow off all the sand, dirt, leaves, dust and whatnot on your manifold. Be careful not to drop anything into the manifold - stuff a clean rag into it!!!

Best of luck and good choice - Accufab rules!!! You'll really feel it when you hit 3K RPMs! :nice: :D