Adding Factory Look Air Conditioning to 70 Without It

hooligan169

Jul 30, 2019
Kentucky
My daughter & I picked up a 70 coupe earlier this week. It did not come with factory air conditioning. How hard would it be to add it in regarding to the vents? I'm thinking it is a different dash pad, the center vents and the two smaller vents on the lower sides. Is there any difficult ducking to run? I'm hoping to keep it looking stock.

For a 1970, a vintage air conditioning system could easily have been be a below dash, add on one. Unless you want to spend a lot of time and money collecting Ford used and new parts, a place like Vintage Air will save a lot of time with a smaller unit that works better. It is not cheap, but that it should fit and be complete is a major advantage.

Hi hooligan. My girlfriends dad is having me sell his complete 100% stock a/c unit from his '70 mustang. Have you gotten a system for the car yet? if not i can send you more information on this.

I did the same swap a few years back on a 69 (very similar layout) The whole dash panel is different with A/C with the vents built into the lower corners and the center vent above the radio. I was able to find a junked 69 with A/C and swapped dash panels. The dash pad for A/C has the center vent in it, but you can cut the hole in a non A/C if you don't want to replace it. I went with an under dash unit from Vintage Auto Air. It is slightly smaller than OEM and more efficient. I think they have a kit for installing the vents in a non A/C dash