Adding power brakes to 66

stangbuilder66

New Member
Dec 6, 2004
25
0
0
I am going to swap to disc brakes on my v8 66 mustang. At the same time I obviously want to add power brakes. What is the process for adding a booster and dual chamber MC? Do I need to find a mustang donor car, buy a new stock one from a parts shop, can you use the booster/MC from a granada (ror any other car for that)? Finally, would I need to just remove the current "fruit jar" MC and put on the booster and new MC or do I need to replace the pedal/pushrod/hanger assmbly?

Thanks in advance.
 
You could do any of the choices you listed.

In any conversion I've ever done, the pushrod had to be changed to match the master cylinder/booster combo. I haven't done my '65 yet but it should be no different. These sites should help you. The one site says '77-'84 Granada while the other says '75-'80. Be warned that the '81-'84 Granada is a fox body and won't work, so stick to the '75-'80.

Vintage
Grnada disk
 
I'm doing a power brake setup on mine right now. http://www.mustangsteve.com/BRAKES.html MustangSteve's Power brake setup uses a fox body accumulator, relocates the pivot on the brake pedal, (brakes can be over sensitive if not done), and a strengthener for the fire wall. He may still have a chrisrtmas speciel going on. The MS FYI is another good forum, an many there will answer brake questions.
Not trying to start a Forum War just another site.
 
Be aware that you can't fit a standard 65-66 Mustang booster with a dual MC into the space between the fiewall and shock tower. If you want a dual MC with power booster there are mini boosters sold on Ebay and you can modify you existing petal, padal bracket, and firewall using the 9" Booster from 80's era Fairmonts and Mustang. See Mustangsteve on the net. I've done the mechanical parts of this conversion myself with little trouble (although I have a good mig welder, drill press, and the other tools that make this typse of work possible). I haven't tested the brakes yet so I can't atest to how the conversion works. I haven't heard or read much either.