Adding Subwoofers to the Mach 460

Moon

Mar 22, 2010
Close to Chicago
I'm pretty sure I have the Mach 1000, although I'm not positive. I have an '03 GT. The stereo is pretty damn loud and I can really feel the bass if turned up, there are two small enclosures for tweeters I'm guessing in front of each mirror, and it has an in-dash 6 disc changer.

A buddy of mine just gave me two Lightning Audio 300 watt subs, and a Dual 460 watt amp. How hard is it to add these to the stock system? And if I do, will I need ot worry about the alternator not providing enough power if they are in constant use?

• Sponsors (?)

you can do it and it wont hurt the alt any. go to a local audio shop and have them sell you a downstep i think is what its called what that does is plugs into the stock radio somewhere ( i never done one but know people who have) and converts your audio from wires to a lil box that has rca jacks that go to the amp so that you will have audio through the subs. and your door speakers and rear speakers are not a 6x9 they are a 5x7 ford used weird size speakers stupid but your audio shop can tell you the right size. i still have the stock speakers in mine with a large sub setup and it sounds pretty clean

you can do it and it wont hurt the alt any. go to a local audio shop and have them sell you a downstep i think is what its called what that does is plugs into the stock radio somewhere ( i never done one but know people who have) and converts your audio from wires to a lil box that has rca jacks that go to the amp so that you will have audio through the subs. and your door speakers and rear speakers are not a 6x9 they are a 5x7 ford used weird size speakers stupid but your audio shop can tell you the right size. i still have the stock speakers in mine with a large sub setup and it sounds pretty clean

Thank you, good sir. I probably didn't specify about the speakers, but I have four 6x9 Pioneers sitting around that I want to maybe put in enclosures as well.

Nice looking Cobra. I have a black GT, I'm going to get all windows tinted soon. :rock:

i talked to a friend who has a down step in his rx8 and he says its around $30 and all it does is splice into a speaker wire from what he said. thinking about doing a rear seat delete with a sub wall? and thanks. pics?

What I'll most likely end up doing is having the smallest enclosure for my two subs, and whatever enclosure I can get for the 6x9s and throwing it all in the trunk. I'm definitely not getting a rear seat delete- it's my daily driver until November.

I have some pics, but I have no clue how to post pics here.