Advantages to stud mount rockers, rather than pedistal mount??

95CobraMike

Apr 12, 2004
Lima OH
What are some of the advantages of going stud mount rather than pedistal mount on your rocker arms??

i know that studs are stronger and they are adjustable....but what does that mean to be adjustable? what are the advantages of a rocker arm being adjustable?

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

granted the stud mount rocker arms are stronger but if your using stock heads then the work isnt worth it. with a stock head motor you most likely are not makin enough power to need the extra strength. the crane 1.7 rocker arms are a great upgrade from stock. i put them on my car and didnt need the shims as i have heard from others. how ever i would recomend changing the springs and valve seals while you have the heads open.

95CobraMike said:
Thanks Grady,

But what exactly is the point of having adjustable rocker arms? does it have to do with pushrod length?

I guess I could have been more clear Mike but I usually post too much junk anyway and I'm tryin to cut back :D

Here is my take on this part of the valve train :)

Lets say you got every part of the vt perfect.

For a street car, you'll most likely run a pre load range of 1/4 to 3/4 of a turn.

With a stud setup, you just set it as you wish it to be.

With a ped setup

You first check it for a base line
Then you shim
or
Then you change push rods

What if you decide you don't wanna run at 1/4 anymore
and
you decide to to run at 3/4

Flexability and ease of adjustment! :D

Know what I mean Vern? ;)

Grady

Black95GT_Kid said:
granted the stud mount rocker arms are stronger but if your using stock heads then the work isnt worth it. with a stock head motor you most likely are not makin enough power to need the extra strength. the crane 1.7 rocker arms are a great upgrade from stock. i put them on my car and didnt need the shims as i have heard from others. how ever i would recomend changing the springs and valve seals while you have the heads open.

For the most part, stock oem iron heads will always use the intended ped setup as the expense to convert them over is kinda high ... if you do it right.

Grady

final5-0 said:
I guess I could have been more clear Mike but I usually post too much junk anyway and I'm tryin to cut back :D

Here is my take on this part of the valve train :)

Lets say you got every part of the vt perfect.

For a street car, you'll most likely run a pre load range of 1/4 to 3/4 of a turn.

With a stud setup, you just set it as you wish it to be.

With a ped setup

You first check it for a base line
Then you shim
or
Then you change push rods

What if you decide you don't wanna run at 1/4 anymore
and
you decide to to run at 3/4

Flexability and ease of adjustment! :D

Know what I mean Vern? ;)

Grady

i know what you mean... :rlaugh: ...Earnest

so push rod length doesnt matter all that much?

95CobraMike said:
i know what you mean... :rlaugh: ...Earnest

so push rod length doesnt matter all that much?

Even if you go stud mount, you do need the correct vt geometry which does mean a pr that is the correct length. But yes, once you get the correct length it is as above.

I just was trying to show you could go from one extreme to the other with the stud setup and no other parts would be needed.

On the peds, you gotta do all that other shims & diff length pr stuff.

Grady

i got you....

so now my next question is... how do you determine the correct pushrod length if your rockers are adjustable? you know with your old ped mount ones you install them with the valve closed, then you measure from rocker arm to the lifter (pretty much) how do you do it when the distance between rocker and lifter can be changed by the simple turn of a nut?

Either way, IMO, the VT can be considered the most crucial part of the engine, it manipulates the flow characteristics of the entire engine, putting a little extra dough and reliability cannot hurt.

I would definately go with pedastal.

You won't see any benefit from changing your rockers since you already have good ones. If you eventually get aftermarket heads, they'll already be setup for studs so you won't be able to use pedestal rockers anyway.

95CobraMike said:
i got you....

so now my next question is... how do you determine the correct pushrod length if your rockers are adjustable? you know with your old ped mount ones you install them with the valve closed, then you measure from rocker arm to the lifter (pretty much) how do you do it when the distance between rocker and lifter can be changed by the simple turn of a nut?

There is more to it than this but you can paint the top of the valve tip with a marks a lot and turn the motor over a time or two. You want the roller to travel a certain distance (can't remember the amount) across the center of the valve tip.

Here is a pic of mine for you :)

valvetip.jpg

Lots of stuff to consider Mike like coil bind, roller travel across the valve tip, and more, but even if we were talking on the phone, pics would help so much more to show what is really going on with the valve train.

IMHO, here is the best way to see the light on all this stuff!

The big cam companies like Crane, Comp, etc have great stuff on their sites with pics and everything.

When you see the pics and spend just a little time reading the faqs and such, you'll see the big picture and it will all make sense.

Grady