Advice on 95 GT Vert build

Gsperry

Aug 26, 2011
Charlotte, NC
I just bought my first Mustang, a 1995 convertible 5 speed. Body and interior are good, has ss MAC exhaust from manifolds back and a cold air intake. Other than that is stock with 220k miles in it. I want a 400 foot pound torque, tire shredding, stoplight beast that can still run 70 mph on highway to the beach. I would like advise on the easiest and least expensive solution. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I just bought my first Mustang, a 1995 convertible 5 speed. Body and interior are good, has ss MAC exhaust from manifolds back and a cold air intake. Other than that is stock with 220k miles in it. I want a 400 foot pound torque, tire shredding, stoplight beast that can still run 70 mph on highway to the beach. I would like advise on the easiest and least expensive solution. Thanks.
welcome to the board!

you are describing my mustang as it sits today. with the 3.27 gears that are in it right now, 70 mph for me is 2000 rpms.

the motor (or the whole car) is actually for sale as i now have a 1967 fairlane and i promised the wife i'd sell the stang.

Subframe

It does have subframe connectors welded in and feels solid for a convertible. I think I am going to build another 302 as that seems easier than a swap. I am looking at a machined Mexican Short Block this evening. Guy wants $600 for it. Then maybe one of the Trickflow Top End Kits for $2,500 with the intake, heads, Cam, etc. I would still need lifters and injectors and not sure what else. Think could still keep it under $4k total. Any thoughts or opinions on how money may be better spent?

If your looking for all that for under 4k, then you may want to start looking for a 96 or early 97 explorer engine and a blower. You can usually get a used blower setup for a decent price and spend the rest on a transmission and fuel system upgrades.

If your looking for all that for under 4k, then you may want to start looking for a 96 or early 97 explorer engine and a blower. You can usually get a used blower setup for a decent price and spend the rest on a transmission and fuel system upgrades.

A blower on the stock setup should get him there....no need to go the explorer route.

I think i just saw a vortech setup for our year on corral.net for less than $1500. Might find another deal for a trans for $1500.