AFE CAI & SCT tunes

Green Machine

Founding Member
Sep 22, 2001
Lakeland Florida
My 05 GT came with an AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake System with no tune required.

I'm looking at purchasing a SCT II and having a 93 octane put on it.

Has anyone with a AFE intake tried the SCT tunes, and how did it work out? I'm wondering if it's just a matter of adjusting the cars computer to allow more air in etc.

I've always heard great things on the C&L and other major CAI brands with the SCT tunes from BrenSpeed and BamaChips.

We have the Ford Fun Weekend this weekend, and I'm planning on going over purchasing the SCT tuner directly from them then having them load it up. They'll also have a portable dyno jet there so I thought it would be good to get a base line pull and then add the tune in and see what happens.

Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks, Dewman :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

As a matter of fact, Doug from bamachips dyno tested the AFE and quite a few of the other cold air intakes that don't require reflashing so if your interested in both an SCT tuner and tunes for the AFE ? You should consider contacting Doug before anyone else IMHO...

Thanks, red05bullitgt

I went to Doug's Web site, and wow. I didn't realize the type of tunes he has available for our Mustangs.

I think it would be smarter to go ahead and get a C&L 'Racer' CAI and his std 3 tune pkg.
The three tunes that we recommend are 87 performance, 91-93 performance, and 91-93 torque.
I imagin the AFE has a 80mm MAF at best, so cranking it up to the 95mm should do well with the planned mods I have in mine i.e. New C&L or Fast upper intake / headers / and cams.

Thanks for the info. Dewman :nice:

I've had the aFe CAI on my '05 for about a year now. I ran it for a few months with no tune. Worked well, no problems. I then got an SCT with a tune from Paul's High Performance. 87 Octane tune. PHP's tune did a lot of other nice things like stiffen up the shifting in my auto, minimized throttle lag, and got a lot more out of the CAI. It felt like a 25 HP boost after intallation. I'm sure Bamachips can do similar things.

The aFe unit is high quality. I like the enclosed top that doesn't have to seal against the hood liner. About the only minor complaint I have is that the factory PCV tube had to be replaced with a rubber hose. No biggie, but it would have been nice if they put a factory-like fitting on the unit.

I was reading an old 5.0 mag concerning one of the first tunes and with a stock oem airbox and drop in filter and a SCT tune they got 15 rwhp to start with and then more later.

It sounds like it has to do more with the tune than the type of CAI or MAF size you have based on your comments and what I've read.

Thanks for your feedback!

Dewman :nice:

red05bullitgt

I ended up ordering a SCT X2 from Doug @ BamaChips. Your right, he had an AFE installed on his personal car. With the 87 perf tune he averaged over 10+ and with the 93 perf tune 17-20 hp increase. That's the numbers I'm looking for. I ordered it late Wed. pm last week, and I can't wait to get it installed!

I talked more with Doug, and it made no sense to buy the C&L Racer with a 95mm maf when I don't have forced induction plans. So, I'll use the current cai and purchase some change motion plates soon.

I can't wait till C&L delivers there new upper intake manifold for the 3 valve, that will be really nice.

:nice: Dewman

I'm also looking forward to C&L coming out with the 3v intake manifold as well, let's just hope that it's reasonably priced and is capable of 20+HP...I'm also very pleased that I was able to help out in someway and have no doubt that you will not be disappointed with any of Doug's custom tunes for your AFE CAI...:nice:

are you saying you can buy a tuner/programmer and buy a program online and have it installed on that and then use that for your car?i never knew that.or if you dont want to buy a programmer(sct,diablosport)you can just ask the dynoshop for a tune 93/89 w/e and have them do it.which tune did you guys get.id figure 93 would be the best.

First off Kudo's to BamaChips / Doug for super service on getting the SCT II to me.

I loaded the tune up this afternoon choosing the 91-93 Perfromance tune with 93 octane in the tank. Noticed right away that the surge / stumble was gone :nice:

Next, it does pull stronger, but it seems to be doing it slowly? With driving around and flooring it every chance I got I noticed that the exhaust note was getting deeper. Plus from like 3000 rpm's up it does pull much stronger.

I was expecting a night / day difference, but it does pull harder, just not as much as I was expecting.

Now I need to get back to the Mustang chassis dyno and see what we actually have at the rear wheels.

Btw - I'm looking to put some Charge Motion plates in. With the SCT II all I have to do is go in and turn the that feature off,correct?

When I'm ready to upgrade to JBA LT's Doug will send me a new tune. You just can't beat BamaChips!!! :hail2:

Thanks, Dewman :nice:

Isn't it much more fun now:D
After installing the 93 tune, CAI and 4.10s, I love my car even more...BUT it does make me wonder just how sweet these are with FI. This much fun with my new power...then go and add on about another 100+ to it:jaw: :jaw: :jaw:

Flash without unplugging fuses?

Can you flash the computer without unplugging the electric fan fuse and the fuel pump fuse? SCT recommends you do this before flashing.

How difficult is it to install the charge motion delete plates? I am relatively mechanical, but do not have a stockpile of tools at my townhouse.

Black07GT

Yes, you can flash it, but I would follow the mfg. recommendations and pull the fuses.

As I understand it the CMVC delete is fairly easy. There may be a how to out there on Modular Ford.com ? I'm planning one soon, and it should give a solid 8-9 rwhp.

The night & day difference kicked in today. WOW, what a difference the 93 performance tune makes over stock :hail2:

I can't keep my foot out of it, and it pulls like crazy. Now, I need to add some lower control arms to deal with the wheel hop. It's worst than ever, but easier that ever to spin the rear tires. Oh, btw when I'm able to keep from romping it my milage has gone from 16 mpg to 17.5 mpg in town.

Love that BAMACHIP tune!!

Dewman

Can you flash the computer without unplugging the electric fan fuse and the fuel pump fuse? SCT recommends you do this before flashing.

How difficult is it to install the charge motion delete plates? I am relatively mechanical, but do not have a stockpile of tools at my townhouse.

With our 05-07 Stangs, it's really not necessary to pull the fuses before uploading your custom tune files...the recommendations are for older model cars and especially for batteries that are well below fully charged...If on the other hand you have a low charged battery ? just make sure that it's fully charged before using your programmer or make sure to have a tender charger connected first..

if you go to www.sctflash.com and look around in the forums, you will find that SCT specifically states that the fuses do no need to be pulled in the S197s. it was necesary for a short run in model years, not affecting us at all.

C&L Racer Pics

Great, thanks for the info. I decided I did not need to pull them anyways...

Some pictures of my C&L Racer.

DSC03322.JPG
DSC03321.JPG

Black07GT

The C&L Racer looks great!

I decided to save money for some JBA long tubes or the new Bassani LT's and use the existing aFe cai.

Have you had a chance to get it dyno'd yet? I'm planing on a visit next week to a local Mustang chassis dyno to see what the Bamachip tune added.

Dewman:nice: