Afr 185 Question

AUBURN1111

Founding Member
Oct 17, 2000
Mobile, AL
Im looking at getting a set of these heads and they seem to come in 58cc, 60cc and 72cc combustion chambers. When I used the compression calculator with those heads I get 10.5:1, 9.77:1 and 8.7:1, I would like a head that has a combustion chamber in the mid 60s that keeps me around 9:1. Im using a Vortech V1-S trim at around 10-12 psi so I don't want too high of a compression.

• Sponsors (?)

Bottom end DSS rods and pistons with valve reliefs cut into them, explorer throttle body and intake, 60lb injectors, stock cam to be replaced with e303 or something that will compliment the entire package

Bottom end DSS rods and pistons with valve reliefs cut into them, explorer throttle body and intake, 60lb injectors, stock cam to be replaced with e303 or something that will compliment the entire package

I'm going to move this over to TALK section to get some traction and the attention of a few dudes over there.

If it were me and the assuming that the math is right, I would take that 9.77 option all day long and shoot for whatever boost pressure (irrelevant number by the way) that dyno-tuning determined was the best.

Are you planning an inter-cooling option with this blower? What about water/meth?

This is a car with street duty, correct?

Have you considered pricing out an upgrade on the blower compressor before installation?

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't fret too much with compression as it can be compensated for in the tune. The coyote motors are 11:1 and people run all levels of boost on them without issue. The key is the tune.

my concern is the 72cc would be sluggish during normal driving and safe during boost and the inverse with the 58cc. Anyone running these heads on a boosted application I would like see what boost levels are being "safely" run?

my concern is the 72cc would be sluggish during normal driving and safe during boost and the inverse with the 58cc. Anyone running these heads on a boosted application I would like see what boost levels are being "safely" run?

Your cam is going to have a lot to do with that. We've got a couple cam experts in here that can speak more to that piece too.

Ive got the 72cc heads on my turbo 351, it's around 8.6:1. Runs fine.

Last edited:
Assuming your data is correct on the actual cr I would use the 9.xx:1 comb chamber(64cc?). You can adjust that slightly with head gasket thickness,camshaft,fuel octane,actual tuning etc etc. No reason a 9.5-10:1cr aluminum headed sbf shouldn’t run fine.

using summits compression calculator

Attachments

• AFR 72cc.jpeg
    AFR 72cc.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 148
  • AFR 58cc.jpeg
    AFR 58cc.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 126
Please use a better cam. Even an OTS Anderson B41 is a much better choice.
If you are building the bottom end why not get a bigger dish or blower specific pistons?
I'd give Ed Curtis a call if you want a good custom cam @EDC

Please use a better cam. Even an OTS Anderson B41 is a much better choice.
If you are building the bottom end why not get a bigger dish or blower specific pistons?
I'd give Ed Curtis a call if you want a good custom cam @EDC

Ah yes. I must be getting old. :nonono: How difficult is it to recall that Ed Curtis is a forum member.

@EDC Would you upload your cam sheet to this thread? I'll put it into a resource so everyone can grab it.

Sorry peeps.... Swamped with customer orders and not much spare time for the message boards.

In terms of the cylinder head choice.... let's start with the use of that Exploder intake. First rule of making power is to have an intake that out flows your heads. Bottom line, why have a 300 CFM cylinder head if you're going to choke it with a 250 CFM intake manifold?

Yeah, I can hear the novices with... "It's supercharged"... No matter, the combination of small intakes and big heads doesn't work.

If the OP is stuck on that truck intake, use an AFR 165 or a Twisted Wedge 170. Equip them with the matching valvetrain pieces and have Tom's kid port the snot out of the truck intake and you're close to a matched inlet track. (I don't/won't port these intakes anymore)

* Now * if this project were to come across my desk...

Holley SM2, AFR 185/TFS TW 190 and of course.... the "correct" cam and valvetrain package.

Up to the OP to decide if he wants to spend the money wisely or just toss it in the basket of mediocrity.

/off to work...

Reactions: 4 users